Emotions and feelings are often confused. In fact, they are two related concepts, and can even be used indifferently.
For example, someone may say they feel fear, but refer to fear as an emotion.
Phrases of feelings and emotions that will excite you
While emotions are psycho-physiological, biological expressions of mental states caused by adaptation to certain stimuli, feelings are the result of these emotions, it is what we feel.
Throughout history, many authors (poets, writers, etc.) have been inspired by emotions and what we feel . Therefore, in this article we will review the best quotes on these two concepts. In the following lines, then, you have a collection of great sentences of feelings.
1. Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a gift and not giving it
William Arthur Ward . Gratitude is the greatest gift we can give someone
2. I never cared before, he continued. Being lost, that is. I had always thought that it was not possible to be lost if one knew one’s own heart. But I’m afraid I could get lost if I don’t know yours
A paragraph full of feeling. From the writer, Cassandra Clare .
3. One can find so many sorrows when the rain is falling
The rain usually affects our mood.
4. It’s often enough for me to be with someone. I don’t need to touch him. I don’t even need to talk. A feeling passes between us. I am not alone
A great quote from the famous American actress, Marilyn Monroe .
5. Peace comes from feelings of satisfaction when you work with joy, live with hope, and love with abandonment.
Peace has to be worked on, it’s a decision we make.
6. The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, or even touched. They must be felt with the heart
What comes from the heart must be expressed in all its fullness.
7. People on a day-to-day basis tend to brush the surface of things and be polite and careful. That’s not the language I speak. I like to talk about feelings, fears and memories, anguish and joy, and I find it in music
The singer, Shirley Manson , about the superficial feelings
8. Love is friendship on fire
Friendship awakens good feelings in us.
9. Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings; always darker, emptier, and simpler
Friedrich Nietzsche . The thoughts we have cannot be understood without our feelings.
10. Positive feelings come from being honest with yourself and from accepting your personality and physical characteristics, with all their faults; and from belonging to a family that accepts you without a doubt.
To generate positive feelings, one must accept oneself.
11. Love four letters that mark your destiny. Four letters that invite you to dream. Four letters that tell you that you are alive, although for many you are dead
Without a doubt, one of the experiences that generates the most feelings is love.
12. Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.
The teacher, Thich Nhat Hanh , on how breathing can help us control our emotions.
13. We live in deeds, not in years; in thoughts, not in breaths; in feelings, not in the numbers on a dial. We must count time by heartbeats
Philip James Bailey a poetic quote from this great author.
14. Those who do not know how to cry with all their heart do not know how to laugh either
Emotional people laugh and suffer equally.
15. When one has the feeling of dislike for evil, when one feels calm, one finds pleasure in listening to good teachings, when one has these feelings and appreciates them, one is free from fear
One of the great teachings of the master, Buddha
16. One can only see well with the heart, for what is essential is invisible to the eyes
Antoine de Saint Exupèry . The feelings that come from the heart are the purest.
17. A true love travels to the other side of the world to meet its beloved
The feelings of true love force you to cross the world if necessary.
18. I would never trust a man who does not cry, he would not be human
Norman Schwarzkopf . Sentimental people express what they feel.
19 When you live and explore loving one hundred percent, there are no unknown zones and therefore no fear
Curiosity can override fear.
20. Is it really possible to tell someone else how you feel?
Leo Tolstoy , the great Russian novelist, questions what a person can feel.
21. I leave the house where I was born, I leave the village I know, for a world I have not seen. I leave friends for strangers, I leave the shore for the sea, I leave all that I want well… Who could not leave!
A poetic fragment that talks about giving up everything for someone.
22. Feelings are more dangerous than ideas, because they are not susceptible to rational evaluation. They grow quietly, spreading underground, and suddenly explode, everywhere
Brian Eno , philosophizing about reason and feelings.
23. In my garden there is room for feelings. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams, thoughts grow as freely as flowers, and dreams are so beautiful
Abram L. Urban . Feelings influence our thoughts.
24. There is no feeling comparable to being in love with someone and being loved back
The feeling of love is the most intense and lasting sensation we can feel.
25. Feelings such as disappointment, shame, irritation, resentment, anger, jealousy, and fear are not bad news; they are actually very clear moments that show us what is keeping us from moving forward
Pema Chodron . Negative feelings are opportunities for growth.
26. Listen to your emotions, don’t ignore them, and try to express them through the right channels, otherwise they will hurt you
Emotions send us a message that we must decipher.
27. The greatest happiness consists in transforming feelings into action
There’s no point in feeling if we can’t take action afterwards.
28. There are emotions that are biologically oriented and there are complex emotions that are saturated with thoughts and cognition
Jack Mayer , reflecting on people’s emotions and rationality.
29. If you don’t love me, it doesn’t matter; I can love for both of us
A sentence about feelings, with a touch of irony.
30. He who fears suffering suffers from fear
A Chinese proverb that speaks of suffering and fear.
31. In one kiss, you will know everything I have kept quiet
The poet, Pablo Neruda, gives us these words full of feeling.
32. You may feel frustrated if you fail, but you will feel useless if you don’t try
If we don’t pursue our feelings, we can get frustrated.
33. A prerequisite for empathy is simply paying attention that you are in pain
A famous quote by, Daniel Goleman, the emotional intelligence expert.
34. Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights
A far-fetched phrase but full of feeling.
35. Love has no cure, but it is the only cure for all ills
Leonard Cohen . Love invites us to feel, but if we do not accept, we suffer.
36. Love knows no barriers; it jumps over obstacles, fences and penetrates walls to reach its destination full of hope
Maya Angelou . The love and feelings generated invite us to hope.
37 A kiss is worth a thousand words when there is love
A kiss, just like a hug, conveys feelings.
38. Life can be wonderful if we complete the sentence with the person we love
Life is precious if we are with the person we love.
39. Kissing is one of life’s great pleasures
A kiss is an experience full of feeling.
40. If I am happy when I love, then you are my happiness
In love it is possible to find happiness.
41. There is no instinct like the instinct of the heart
Lord Byron . The heart is full of instinctive feelings.
42. Be aware that you are creating right now. You are creating your next moment based on what you feel and think. That is what is real
The present experience is what allows us to enjoy our feelings.
43. I love you more than my own skin
Frida Kahlo , expressing that it is possible to love others more than oneself.
44. Kisses, even if they are in the air, are beautiful
Drew Barrymore , on the greatness of kissing.
45. Remaining locked in the same toxic emotion will not allow us to continue living, learning and improving as people
A great quote from the psychology book, “Toxic Emotions”, by Bernardo Stamateas.
46. If we can laugh at ourselves, we can take advantage of shame
The British poet. Alexander Pope , in reference to laughing at our defects in order to grow as people.
47. The heart has eyes that the brain knows nothing about
Charles Henry Parkhurst , talking about how the heart has reasons that the brain does not know.
48. When you choose to accept rather than demand change, when you choose to support rather than criticize, when you choose love rather than pain, then something inside you rises up and celebrates
If we stop immersing ourselves in negative thoughts we can achieve greater success.
49. But feelings cannot be ignored, no matter how unjust or ungrateful they may seem
A phrase from “The Diary of Anne Frank”.
50. But the smiles and tears are so similar for me that they are not even limited to any particular feeling: I often cry when I am happy and smile when I am sad.
The British novelist, Anne Brontë , on how quickly emotions can change.
51. A feeling is no longer the same when it comes a second time. It dies through the awareness of its return. We become tired and weary of our feelings when they come too often and last too long
The Swiss philosopher and writer, Pascal Mercier , on emotional fatigue.
52. Loneliness and the feeling of being rejected is the most terrible poverty
Mother Teresa of Calcutta . There is no worse feeling than loneliness and rejection.
53. Let us not forget that small emotions are the great captains of our lives and we obey them without realizing it
Vincent Van Gogh . Emotions and feelings decide when making decisions.
54. The nervous system and hormonal responses of hostile people are a pathway to illness and death
A curious prayer by Redford Williams .
55. One way to encourage our willpower and focus is to control our distractions instead of letting them control us
Daniel Goleman . Another great teaching of this psychologist.
56. Out-of-control emotions can make smart people stupid
Emotions can certainly influence our behavior.
57. People with good moods are better at inductive reasoning and creative problem solving
Peter Salovey , another of the authors who is a reference in the field of emotional intelligence, explains how positive feelings help us to move forward.
58. When consciousness is brought to emotion, power is brought into your life
We must be aware of what we feel, because it is the key to emotional regulation.
59. When we feel stressed, it is a sign that our brain is secreting stress hormones. If this is sustained for months or years, those hormones can make our health worse and make us a nervous wreck
Stress awakens negative feelings in us and affects our state of mind.
60. The course of true love never runs smoothly
William Shakespeare . True love does not stop, its feelings are always on the surface.
61. Take care of your own emotions and never underestimate them
Two basic principles to improve our well-being and our interpersonal relationships
62. An emotion does not cause pain. Resistance or suppression of an emotion causes pain
Frederick Dodson , in reference to the repression of our feelings.
63. Without feelings of respect, what is left to distinguish men from beasts?
Respect is one of the great virtues of the human being.
64. Emotions are a critical source of information for learning
Emotions can carry an implicit message that allows us to grow.
65. No one can do anything about feelings; they exist and there is no way to censor them. We may reproach ourselves for some kind of action, for a comment, but not for a feeling, simply because we have no control over it.
Emotions exist, however much we try to avoid them. The best option is to accept them.
66. We are dangerous when we are not aware of our responsibility for how we behave, think and feel
Emotional self-awareness is essential to relate to others, says Marshall B. Rosenberg .
67. The belief that we can count on shortcuts to happiness, joy, comfort and ecstasy, instead of having a right to these feelings through the exercise of personal strengths and virtues, leads to legions of people who, in the midst of great wealth, are spiritually hungry.
Money is not everything to be happy, explains psychologist Martin Seligman .
68. If you spend your life economizing on people’s feelings and feeding their vanity, you get the inability to distinguish what should be respected in them
F. Scott Fitzgerald , gives us this quote about feelings.
69. Poetry can make us, from time to time, a little more aware of the deepest unidentified feelings that form the substratum of our being, which we rarely penetrate; for our lives are mostly an evasion of ourselves
Poetry can be a good form of emotional self-knowledge.
70. Women rarely have a job sufficient to silence their feelings; a round of little care or vain seeking, wasting all the strength of mind and organs. They become, naturally, only objects of the senses.
A thought-provoking quote from Mary Wollstonecraft .
71. If you want pure love. Then go where pure love lies. Pure love is the Soul. It is within you and does not need interpretation.
John Roger . Authentic love comes from our soul.
72. Fanaticism destroys the feelings of humanity
The British historian, Edward Gibbon , talking about how feelings associated with fanaticism, destroy the coexistence between people.
73. What good is a philosopher who does not hurt anyone’s feelings?
Good philosophy is thought-provoking.
74. Somehow our society has formed a one-sided view of the human personality, and for some reason everyone understands giftedness and talent only as applied to the intellect. But it is possible not only to have talent in one’s thoughts, but also to have talent in one’s feelings
Lev Vygotsky, in clear reference to human talent.
75. I learned to be with myself instead of avoiding myself with limiting habits; I began to be more aware of my feelings, instead of numbing them
When one accepts oneself, one’s perception of life changes.
76. Doubt that the stars are of fire, doubt that the sun moves. Doubt that the truth is a lie, but never doubt my love
The great British novelist, William Shakespeare , talks about doubt in this quote.
77. On any street corner, the feeling of absurdity can affect any man’s face
Albert Camus . The feeling of making a fool of oneself can affect everyone.
78. We experience our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical illusion of consciousness. This illusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to the affection for a few
We have to experience what we feel in a non-judgmental way.
79. But the rational mind does not usually decide which emotions we “should” have!
We feel what we feel, not what we want to feel.
80. People often say that love will heal the world. But that’s not exactly true. It’s love that heals the world. Love is action. Loving is manifestation. Loving is movement. Loving is the awareness of giving
To love means to move. Spreading love.
81. Sensitive people usually love deeply and hate deeply. They know no other way to live than by extremes, because their emotional thermostat is broken
Sensitive people have their own way of living.
80. You just have to ask how I feel, I mean. Just ask and I might tell you. But nobody does
Not everyone pays attention to their emotions. They live in automatic pilot.
82. Although a high IQ is no guarantee of prosperity, prestige, or happiness in life, our schools and culture are obsessed with academic skills, ignoring the emotional intelligence that is also immensely important to our personal destiny
Emotional intelligence is essential in the world we live in.
83. You can manifest the life you really want with clear intention, emotional intelligence and imagination … like it or not, your life is what you have chosen
We have to accept what we feel if we want to be happy.
84. My hope was that organizations would include this range of knowledge in their training programmes – in other words, to provide adult education in social and emotional intelligence
It is necessary for people to receive emotional education.
85. Emotions can leave you on the road or leave you on the road
Mavis Mazhura . Emotional control is basic when we live surrounded by people.
86. Emotional intelligence, the perfect oxymoron!
David Nicholls , stating that emotional intelligence is a contradiction.
87. There is no weakness in the ability to love fully. One must have courage, tenacity and an emotional intelligence that most people are incapable of
In love, feelings must be expressed.
88. Emotional self-control delays gratification and stifles impulsivity, it is the true reason for the realization of every gender
Control of emotions is a skill that allows you to grow as a person.
89. Fear, in evolution, has a special importance: perhaps more than any other emotion, it is crucial for survival
Feeling fear is normal and has been key to our evolution.
90. A large part of intellectual intelligence depends on emotional intelligence
Michael Gurian , in reference to emotional intelligence and intellectual intelligence.
91. Feelings are not supposed to be logical. Dangerous is the man who has rationalized his emotions
David Borenstein . Emotions exist, so it is not good to fight with them
92. For a time one may be joyful inwardly, but in the long run the joy must be shared by two
The Norwegian playwright, Henrik Ibsen , expressing that joy is better if it is shared with another person.
93. Half of humanity laughs at the other half, but some are funny and others are not
Noel Clarasó . A sentence about happiness by this great author. with a certain touch of irony
94. Hate doesn’t diminish with hate. Hate decreases with love
Another of the great teachings of Buddha. For more Buddhist phrases, click here.
95. An ounce of joy is worth a pound of sorrow
Richard Baxter , gives us this quote about joy.
96. The joy that is born of good is serious, while that which is born of evil is accompanied by laughter and mockery
Joy must not be forced, it must come from within oneself.
97. You don’t hate yourself while you’re underestimating yourself. Hate only one equal or superior
Friedrich Nietzsche . If we hate it is because we feel inferior.
98. Hate is a waste of the heart, and the heart is our greatest treasure
Hating does not do us any favors, but the opposite
99. Don’t let the sun die without your grudges dying
Mahatma Gandhi. A grudge should not be part of our life.
100. Difference begets hate
We must feel the same to be happy.
101. Hope is a happiness in itself, and the greatest that the world can give us
A phrase about hope, pronounced by Samuel Johnson .
102. The hope of an eternal and incomprehensible happiness in another world is something that also carries with it constant pleasure
To keep waiting is, in the long run, comforting.
103. No matter how long the storm is, the sun always shines through the clouds again
We can have bad times that affect our feelings, but we must have hope. Better times will come.
104. Be the flame, not the moth
This phrase from Giacomo Casanova reminds us of the power of the charism in personal relationships.
105. Believe with all your heart that you are destined to live a life of passion, purpose, magic, and miracles
Roy T. Bennett offers this formula to motivate us to improve our quality of life.
106. The weak cannot forgive, forgiveness is an attitude of the strong
Another reflection of Gandhi, in this case on empathy and forgiveness.
107. If you don’t have confidence in yourself, you lose twice in the race of life
Marcus Garvey encourages us to believe in our possibilities.
108. Let the beauty of what you love be what you are
This is one of the phrases of feelings and emotions of the mystic Rumi , known for his inspiring aphorisms.
109. True love is rare… true friendship is even rarer
Jean de la Fontaine believes that true friendship is a treasure, for good and for bad.
110. The dog is the only being that loves you more than yourself
It is worth remembering the affection that these animals can have for us.
111. A flower cannot open without the rays of the sun, and man cannot live without love
Max Muller talks about love as if it were a substance we need to exist.
112. What we love tells us who we are
St. Thomas Aquinas talks about how our passions reveal things about our identity.
113. I am in you and you are in me, divine love for each other
One of William Blake’s most famous and remembered phrases.
114. A friend is what the heart needs all the time
Henry Van Dyke points out that among our most essential needs is the company of a friend.
115. Jealousy is simply both love and hate
Canadian musician Drake talks about the nature of jealousy.
116. Dispassionate objectivity is itself a passion, for truth and reality
A phrase from the humanist researcher Abraham Maslow.
117. If you love life, it will love you
Arthur Rubinstein offers this optimistic view of existence.
If your heart is a volcano, how do you expect flowers to bloom in it?
A witty comparison of Khalil Gibran .
119. Passion is momentary, love endures
John Wooden offers this simple distinction between two of the most important human feelings.
120. The passion for destruction is also a creative passion
One of the phrases that reflect the revolutionary mentality of Mikhail Bakunin .
121. Take care of your own emotions and never underestimate them. (Robert Henri)
Many people are very rational until their long-held emotions get the better of them.
122. If you have not learned from sorrow, you cannot appreciate happiness. (Nana Mouskouri)
We need to experience pain in order to value joy and good times even more.
123. Your intelligence may be confused, but your feelings will never lie to you. (Roger Ebert)
An interesting paradox that can make us think about ourselves.