The job interview is probably one of the most complex situations to deal with when we are faced with it . Nowadays there are thousands of tips, tutorials, guides and even coaching courses to support a job interview whatever its difficulty.
Another debate that is on the table is the role that some companies determine for the interviewer, dictating corporate standards that are of dubious legitimacy, as some are accused of discriminating positively or negatively on gender.
Sexist phrases that should be avoided in an interview
Some prestigious companies such as the Spanish airline Iberia, the computer company Hewlett-Packard or even the Coca-Cola Company, have received severe formal complaints for sexist treatment in terms of recruitment , especially in intermediate positions or executives and directors.
In this article we offer you the 23 most inappropriate phrases that are usually pronounced in job interviews.
1. Do you plan to have children in the future?
It is the star phrase/question of sexism, especially against women, where they see their options for success limited by the supposed maternal desire.
2. We need you to keep your hair long
Here is another example of a sexist phrase, where there are jobs that put physical image before the professionalism of the worker. In most cases it affects women more.
3. How do you feel about dating someone in the office?
Incredible as it may seem, it is normal to verbalize this phrase.
4. Do you have PMS?
Women are once again in the spotlight when facing a job interview.
5. You need more makeup for the next day
No comment, right?
6. Attempt to flirt with customers to close a sale
In many cases, women are hired to attract potential customers.
7. Will you be able to adapt to such a masculine environment?
In some sectors the male gender is dominant. Women often suffer from this type of questioning by the company.
8. Where do you see yourself in the future?
This simple question hides a desire to know whether the candidate will form a family or not.
9. As a parent we don’t know if you are available to travel
Having children doesn’t mean you can’t move around.
10. Have you ever taken a leave of absence?
Women are unfairly involved with a high level of temporary absences from work due to both physical and physiological issues.
11. Sorry, we require physical strength to carry out the activities of the company.
In some cases, such as in the logistics sector, women are penalized for not being “strong”.
12. The job advertisement calls for a secretary, not a clerk
Men also encounter difficulties in some requested positions, such as public or secretarial positions.
13. Are you sure you’re not going to have children?
A sexist question that addresses both the male and female gender.
14. At what age would you like to have children?
One of the most common phrases nowadays.
15. Here girls must wear a skirt and heels
Clothing is another controversial element between men and women.
16. Do you prefer to take care of mothers or fathers?
This is a fairly recurrent question in the commercial sectors.
17. We need a man of character for the position of executive
Can’t a woman have a character?
18. You may not fit the profile, as we are looking for a woman
Stores selling women’s clothing, baby clothes or makeup, men are discriminated against because of their sexual condition.
19. Even if you have your period, it’s not a reason to leave
Incredible as it may seem, these kinds of claims are made today.
20. You have to wear a blouse here
Outward appearance is again a priority for some firms
21. Do you or your partner usually cook?
A very typical occurrence in job interviews.
22. Which one of us usually takes our children to school?
These difficulties are faced by parents in many nominations.
23. Do you have a driver’s license?
According to one study, 95% of women are asked this question.