If you’re a man you should masturbate 21 times a month, according to science
If loving oneself is good for improving emotional well-being, giving oneself pleasure is beneficial for general health and, in fact, could save one’s life. Masturbation is certainly a healthy act , but unfortunately there are many people who are prejudiced against giving pleasure to oneself.
Perhaps not so much in the case of men, but it remains a taboo subject, largely because of the irrational beliefs that have been promoted by the Catholic Church for centuries. In this article you can find some benefits that masturbation has for our physical and mental health, and we will deepen in a study that states that it is necessary to masturbate at least 21 times a month to avoid suffering from cancer.
What is masturbation
Onanism is a sexual behaviour that is defined as the act one carries out for self pleasure by means of any kind of direct stimulation. In the case of men, scientific studies show that 95% of subjects have masturbated at some time. In the case of women, 63%.
Generally, masturbation is associated with adolescence, with an average age of onset of 14 for boys and 16 for girls. Studies also say, oddly enough, that women masturbate more when they are in a stable relationship than when they are single. Men, on the other hand, do so after a breakup and become single again.
Men should masturbate up to 21 times a month to live longer
Some scientific studies are really curious. One example is one published by the European Urology magazine, which has shown that people who masturbate more than 21 times a month significantly reduce the probability of suffering from cancer .
In fact, for young men, those in their 20s who ejaculate at least 21 times a month are 19% less likely to develop prostate cancer than those who do not. The same research found that those men who are 40 years old can reduce the likelihood of prostate cancer by about 22% through frequent masturbation.
Of course, having sex also brings these benefits, but masturbation is equally effective.
What the experts say
The study was conducted by researchers from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and Harvard Medical School in the United States. It was funded by the National Cancer Institute and the Young Investigator Prostate Cancer Foundation.
According to Jennifer Rider, director of the study, “To benefit from this fact, i.e. not develop prostate cancer, you need to masturbate 21 times a month. What this indicates is that the frequency of ejaculation is a measure of a person’s overall condition. Those who masturbate no more than 3 times a month are more likely to have other medical problems and die prematurely from causes other than prostate cancer.
This research was a cohort study that took into account the follow-up of about 30,000 male volunteers, in the period from 1992 to 2010. The scientists took into account the number of times the subjects ejaculated in a month, either by having sex or by masturbating. The final results showed that ejaculating 21 times a month prevents the development of prostate cancer .
Other Benefits of Masturbation
But the benefits of masturbation are not only what this study shows, other research has also concluded that onanism positively affects our physical and mental health.
Some of these benefits are:
- It helps to overcome menstrual pain , as it has an analgesic effect and reduces inflammation in the genital area.
- Genital health is positively affected by masturbation. In the case of women, favouring lubrication, and in the case of men, a good reflex of erection and ejaculation.
- The immune system is strengthened as a result of onanism, so infections go down, as higher levels of immunoglobulin A are produced.
- Masturbating helps to sleep better and improves the quality of sleep or, because thanks to masturbation some neurochemicals are released such as serotonin and different endogenous opioids, such as endorphins.
- Self-pleasure relaxes and causes a greater sense of well-being, as it helps to release both mental and physical tension.
- It is a good way to discover one’s own sexuality and it helps to enjoy greater orgasms, as the person can learn, through this act, the correct sexual functioning.
- It has an impact on the quality of sex with the partner.
You can read more about these benefits in our article: “Physical and psychological benefits of masturbation”
Smart people masturbate more
Another curious study on masturbation states that people who practice onanism more often tend to be smarter and get better academic results . This controversial research was conducted by the National School of Health and Sexual Behavior led by sexologist Debby Herbenick, a leading researcher at the Kinsey Institute in the United States.
The results of the study show that there seems to be a positive correlation between the frequency of masturbation and the level of education.
- You can learn more about this research in our article: “Smart People Masturbate More, Study Reveals”