Breaking Bad is one of the best TV series of the century, and its success has earned it fans all over the world. This audiovisual fiction has created a universe capable of capturing the audience from its first chapter.
That’s why it’s not strange how many Breaking Bad phrases have gone down in history . After all, it deals with universal issues beyond drugs and the world of drug trafficking.
The most memorable Breanking Bad phrases
In this selection of sentences from Breaking Bad you will find interesting reflections on the varied topics covered in this series.
1. What is the point of being an outlaw if you have responsibilities?
From a selfish perspective, running away from justice can also be seen as an opportunity to break away from any responsibility.
2. This family means everything to me. Without it I have nothing to lose.
Family is something that brings us closer to the world and its problems.
I’m not in danger, Skyler, I’m the danger. If they knock on a man’s door and shoot him, you think that’s gonna be me? No! I’m the one who knocks.
One of the scenes in which the radical change of Walter White can be seen most clearly .
4. I saw Jane die. I was there. And I saw her die of an overdose, and she drowned and died. I could have saved her. But I didn’t.
In another of the more dramatic scenes, Walter White uses a revelation to show his power and self-confidence.
5. Every few months I come here for a routine checkup knowing that in one of those, hell! Maybe even today I’ll hear one of those bad news, but until then… Who’s in charge? Me! That’s how I live my life.
About the notion of being in control of one’s life.
6. Never make the same mistake twice.
A recommendation to try to make mistakes work.
7. If you think there’s a hell, we’re almost certainly going there. But I’m not going to lie down until I get there.
A line of dialogue that shows the philosophy of busy life that is breathed in this fiction.
8. To cook you only need to know the recipe, and I know it to the letter.
About the process of making the drug.
9. You’re the smartest man I know and you’re too stupid to see that he’s already made his decision 10 minutes ago.
Hank shows clearly that sometimes desires change the way Walter thinks about his despair.
10. The men are there to provide for their families at any cost.
A sample of the way traditional families think.
11. Don Eladio is dead, his bosses are dead, you have no one else to fight for, fill your pockets and go in peace or come and fight and die!
One of the sentences in Breaking Bad in which expresses the violent character of the mafias .
12. I’ve spent my whole life afraid, scared of things that might happen. But everything has changed since I was told I had cancer. I get up to kick fear in the teeth.
At times when you think you’ve hit rock bottom, there may be those who feel they have nothing to lose.
13. You know the business and I know the chemistry.
One of the phrases of Breaking Bad that captures the plot of much of the series.
14. If that’s true, if you don’t know who I am, then maybe your best bet would be to tread lightly.
Heisenberg is known for his lapidary phrases, and this is a good example.
15. Shut up and let me die in peace.
One of the most intimidating characters in the series utters these words, showing dignity in his final moments.
16. Stay off my turf.
Another line in this series that has become one of the most remembered Breaking Bad memes.
17. I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And I was really… I was alive.
One of the things that the plot of this work of fiction shows is that the world of drug trafficking was, outside the family sphere, the only one in which Walter came to feel recognized.
18. You two suck at distributing meth. Period.
An accusation with a hint of humor.
19. There’s gold in the streets waiting for someone to come and pick it up.
The city can be seen as a resource to be exploited.
20. I’m in the business of the empire.
Drugs form a web of power that travels around the world.
21. Smoking marijuana, eating cheetos, and masturbating are not plans in my book.
A scathing commentary on the concept of a wasted life.
22. I guess I won’t be here for long.
About the transience of Walter’s new life.
23. You can’t just show up here out of the blue, your face is stuck in 8 states.
Another line showing the paranoid and suffocating environment in which a fugitive lives.
24. Never lie to a liar.
A self-explanatory aphorism.
25. If you try to interfere, this becomes a much simpler matter. I’m going to kill your wife. I’m going to kill your son. I’m going to kill your newborn daughter.
The repercussions of the business that Walter has gotten into affect the deepest part of family peace.
26. It’s over. I’ve won.
Life seen as a power play.
27. Someone has to protect this family from the man who protects this family.
Those who apparently protect can also oppress.
28. You’re a time bomb and I have no intention of being around when you explode.
Another characteristic of the series is the way it shows the escalation of violence from threats that are accumulating .
29. Everyone sounds like Meryl Streep with a gun to her head.
A metaphor based on pop culture.
30. Since when do vegans eat fried chicken?
The fried chicken business is protected by a low profile through which one tries not to arouse suspicion.
31. The fact that you shot Jesse James doesn’t make you Jesse James.
In power hierarchies, violence is not the key to access everything.
32. You know you have confidence in a friend when he screws up and you don’t hide your desire to kill him.
A curious paradox.
33. He’s a great father, a great teacher. He knows everything there is to know about chemistry. He’s patient with us, he’s always there for you.
Praise to one who is considered a person to whom much is owed.
34. How about you take those chemicals and make some rocket fuel, so you can send out a light signal.
A joke related to the chemistry professions.
35. You can’t trust a drug addict.
A phrase with which the addict is criminalized and at the same time his credibility is being undermined.
36. I have realized that it is fear that is the worst of all. That’s the real enemy.
Fear can imprison us.
37. I love my children. I want my life back. Please tell me… how much is enough?
Normal” life can be boring for some unexpected people, but when trouble comes, it is common to miss the familiar .
38. If you’re committed enough, you can make any story into a job. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.
Believing in yourself is the key to others believing in you.
39. Do you know how much I make in a year? I mean, even if I told you, you wouldn’t believe it. You know what? What if I suddenly decided to stop going to work?
A show of power.
40. A man offers. And he does, even when he is not appreciated or respected or even loved. He just does it, since he’s a man.
Again appealing to the traditional role of the father of the family.
41. You’re a crazy, degenerate, dirty piece of work who deserves to die.
A sentence pronounced in one of the moments of maximum tension of the series.
42. I didn’t say that he actually paints vaginas, I said that some of his paintings looked like vaginas.
A little humor.
43. So right now, what I need from you is to leave me alone. Can you do that for me, honey? Please, just once, can you leave me alone? You know, I’d appreciate it. I really would.
Sometimes the family is shown from Walter’s perspective as a hindrance to his criminal activities.
44. Darth Vader had responsibilities. He was responsible for the death of the star.
One of the most famous series referring to one of the most famous movies.
45. This girl was scared. She wasn’t going to accuse him in any way, shape or form. There was nothing we could do but have her checked out by the E.M.T.’s.
An appreciation that suggests guilt.
46. I know I’m not supposed to call you, but I’m in trouble here and I need my money.
Desperate situations lead to exposure to risk.
47. You’re not a discreet person.
Another reference to the need to maintain a discreet profile to carry out one of the most empowering jobs.
48. If you’re watching this tape, I’m probably dead. Killed by my brother-in-law, hank schrader.
Part of the plan to indict Hank.
49. Was that your Heisenberg?
There’s a whole mythology around this avatar used by Walter.
50. Last chance to look at me, Hector.
Another of the most remembered phrases of Breaking Bad because of the scene in which it appears .
51. We make poison for people who don’t care. We probably have the most unpleasant customers in the world.
Satirizing about substance abusers.
52. When you have children, you always have a family. They will always be your priority, your responsibility.
Once again, placing the family at the center of life.
53. That is not me, man! I… I was the guy who was selling the meth, supposedly.
One of the lines of dialogue related to the paranoid environment of the drug trafficking world.
54. I don’t get it. What’s the big deal? Why don’t you do it at home, like the rest of us, with a big flat-screen TV, 50 pay-per-view channels.
55. Let’s say I know a guy… who knows a guy… who knows a guy.
The drug has long chains of transmission.
56. We’re done when I say we’re done.
Another allusion to the hierarchy that governs the world of crime.
57. A drug dealer gets shot? I’m gonna walk out of here and say that’s what happened.
Anyone involved in drug trafficking is not equally well protected by the law.
58. We had Fring, we had a lab that had everything we needed and everything ran like clockwork. If you’d kept your mouth shut and cooked, we’d have made as much money as you ever needed.
Reproaches for not submitting to a higher hierarchy .
59. The soul? There’s nothing here, just chemistry.
A reflection that rejects dualism.
60. Look, Skyler, I just haven’t been entirely myself lately, but I love you. None of that has changed, and it’s never gonna change.
An attempt at reconciliation.
61. You do. I’m the cook. I’m the man who killed Gus Fring.
Once, feeding the legend of Heisenberg.
62. People do not change, they just show different facets of themselves depending on the situation.
An essentialist view of people.