Albert Einstein was one of the most important and influential scientists of the 20th century. His work helped many astronomers and physicists, and he will always be remembered for his contributions not only in the scientific world, since he was an intellectual reference in other subjects as well. Without a doubt, Einstein was a genius, one of the greatest that have ever existed, and he revolutionized our understanding of time, space and the universe.
Phrases from Albert Einstein
This article is a small tribute to this famous historical figure; below you can find 125 phrases by Albert Einstein for you to enjoy. All of them are full of great wisdom.
Raising new questions, new possibilities, looking at old problems from a new angle, requires creative imagination and marks a real breakthrough in science.
Creative thinking is key to the advancement of science, as Einstein states.
2. I speak to everyone the same way, whether it’s the garbage man or the university president
Einstein recognizes that he is a humble person and treats everyone equally.
3. Loneliness is painful when one is young, but very pleasant when one is more mature
Unlike when we are young, when we get older we tend to value solitude more. Because it allows us to spend some time on ourselves.
4. Mystery is the most beautiful thing we can experience. It is the source of all true art and science
The mystery can seduce us and make us investigate phenomena that have not yet come to light, generating a powerful sense of wonder and discovery .
5. The human mind is not able to conceive of the fourth dimension, so how can it conceive of God? For whom a thousand years and a thousand dimensions are but one
The author talks about the impossibility of fully understanding the divine.
6. A human being is part of the whole we call the universe, a part limited in time and space. He is convinced that he himself, his thoughts and his feelings, are something independent of others, a kind of optical illusion of his consciousness. This illusion is a prison for us, it limits them to our personal desires and to feeling affection for the few we have closer to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from that prison, widening our circle of compassion, to embrace all living beings and all of nature
People may think we are better than others, but in reality, we are all part of the same universe.
7. The distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion
A quote that, with a certain touch of irony, differentiates the present from the past and the future.
8. If you want your kids to be smart, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be smarter, read them more fairy tales
Imagination has a lot to do with intelligence.
9. No one can read the Gospel without feeling the presence of Jesus
The Gospel has a great religious content, as Einstein tells us, a man who declared himself a believer .
10. Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love
Emotions permeate our lives, but are not tangible
11. It is strange to be so universally known and yet so alone
Being famous doesn’t mean we can’t be lonely.
12. Everything should be made as simple as possible but not simpler
In science, it is necessary to simplify things so that others understand them, but not so much that we do not put effort and interest into it.
13. You don’t really understand something unless you are able to explain it to your grandmother
When we really understand something, then we are able to show it to someone.
14. I live in that painful solitude in youth but delicious in maturity
Again, when we get older, we value being able to be alone for a while and disconnect .
15. We’re all very ignorant. What happens is that we don’t all ignore the same things
Just as we all have different talents, we also know different things.
16. The value of the product is in the production
The cost of producing something is what makes it expensive.
17. The way they are trying to cure people is so slow that by the time they find the cure, people will be gone. That’s not very efficient.
A critique of how health issues are progressing.
18. We mortals achieve immortality in the things that we create in common and that remain after us
A quote that forces you to reflect deeply on our existence.
19. All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree
A quote that deals with different disciplines and belief systems and the relationship between them.
20. A man’s worth should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive
One of the best virtues of human beings is knowing how to give, because everyone knows how to receive.
21. Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind
People’s ideology moves the world, and for Einstein religion was a fundamental pillar of it.
22. Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted
A play on words that makes a lot of sense.
23. The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge.
Creativity and scientific advances are closely related, according to Einstein after his experience.
24. A perfection of means and confusion of goals seems to be our main problem
A critique of why science makes mistakes.
25. We are architects of our own destiny
It is we who forge the path for ourselves.
26. Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them
A comparison between intellectuals and those considered geniuses .
27. Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one should be idolized
We’re all human beings, even though we may sometimes idolize someone.
28. There is a driving force more powerful than steam, electricity, and atomic energy: will
The will moves people towards change and transformation.
29. Sad time for us! It is easier to disintegrate an atom than a prejudice
A complaint about how we human beings can behave.
30. In times of crisis imagination is more effective than intellect
Creativity is key to solving problems.
31. The formulation of a problem is more important than its solution
A good formulation of a problem can help many people solve problems.
32. In the beginning all thoughts belong to love. Later, all love belongs to thoughts
Love is also a force that is able to move the world.
33. There is an extremely powerful force for which science has so far found no formal explanation. That force is: love
Again, referring to how love moves people.
34. If A is success in life, then A = X + Y + Z. Where X is work, Y is pleasure, and Z is keeping your mouth shut
One of Einstein’s phrases that oozes with humor.
35. After the failure of mankind to use and control the other forces of the universe, which have turned against us, it is urgent that we feed on another kind of energy.
Human beings can be very destructive if we use our resources for our own benefit.
36. My non-belief in the existence of a God is not philosophical at all
Einstein once again talks about his relationship with religion.
37. Intellectual growth should begin only at birth and only cease with death
We have our whole lives to develop and learn.
38. Without deep reflection one knows about the daily life that exists for other people
Self-reflection and empathy are closely related, so in order to put ourselves in the lives of others it is necessary to reflect.
39. The monotony and loneliness of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind
In moments of loneliness it is easier to give free rein to our creativity .
40. We must humbly admire the beautiful harmony of the structure of this world as far as we can recognize it at the moment. And that is all
Some things are difficult to explain, so we must observe and enjoy them.
41. It is impossible to conceive of peace when every action taken is with the perspective of a possible future conflict
Human beings can be very selfish and not seek cooperation.
42. I do not know what weapons will be used to fight World War III, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones
An ironclad criticism of how we humans behave. We have to think about the path we are taking.
43. The most important source of uranium is in the Belgian Congo
The Belgian Congo was what is now known as the Democratic Republic of Congo, and was one of the largest exporters of uranium to the United States.
44. Chance does not exist; God does not play dice
People are masters of our destiny .
45. I see a pattern, but my imagination cannot visualize the architect of that pattern
Sometimes you have to let yourself be carried away by what you feel without seeking explanations.
46. This life is the result of cause and effect, not what is supposed to be there, in the heavenly reward
What we do and how we behave influences the outcome.
47. Would you be so kind as to tell me if you are taking a position on this war?
A question about whether or not you share that ideology.
48. Memory is the intelligence of fools
Einstein was always an advocate of creativity .
49. When scientists were looking for a unified theory of the universe they forgot the most invisible and powerful of forces
Sometimes we become obsessed with one thing and neglect other equally important things.
50. Science can only make sure of what is, not what should be
Science aims to explain what happens with objective and measurable data.
51. I am really very grateful to you for allowing me to express myself here today, as a man, as a European and as a tool
Einstein was and will be key to the knowledge of humanity.
52. Information is not knowledge
For information to become knowledge, it is necessary to reflect on it .
53. It cannot be my duty to have to seek a conduit between the nation which, for many years has considered me its property
A quote that talks about how Einstein felt.
54. From the point of view of a Jesuit priest I have always been, and always will be: an atheist
Einstein was an atheist, as he makes clear with this sentence.
55. The most beautiful and profound religious emotion that we can experience is the feeling of the mystical
Human beings are emotional beings. Feelings can sometimes be inexplicable.
56. The mystical beliefs of our times that show themselves in the growing current of what is known as philosophy and spiritualism is for me no more than a symptom of weakness and confusion
What is not science has little power for Einstein.
57. I am not an atheist, nor do I believe I can be called a pathetic
Again, making clear his position on religion.
58. Love is light. Since it illuminates the one who gives and receives it
Love is one of the great sensations that human beings can experience.
59. I cannot believe then in this concept of an anthropomorphic God who has the power to interfere with natural laws
This scientist had no faith in God’s anthropomorphic model.
60. I prefer an attitude of humility that corresponds to the weakness of our intellectual capacity to understand the nature of our own being
Einstein was always a curious , also with regard to his feelings.
61. Love is the most powerful source of energy in the whole world because it has no limits
Love is one of the great things in this life.
62. Religion deals only with the evaluation of human thoughts and actions, it cannot justify facts and the correlation between facts
Religion is not science and therefore cannot prove the facts.
63. The true nature of things, that’s something we’ll never really know, ever
There are things that human beings will never fully understand.
64. Never consider study as an obligation, but as an opportunity to penetrate the beautiful and wonderful world of knowledge
People should be motivated to learn new things.
65. Man’s problem is not in the atomic bomb, but in his heart
The atomic bomb does not explode by itself, it is the human being who makes it explode.
66. I deeply regret not having been able to express to you what is in my heart, which has beaten silently for you all my life
A confession about what Einstein didn’t tell a special person.
67. Education is what remains after forgetting what has been learned at school
Education, according to Einstein , goes beyond academic studies.
68. I am a Jew, but I have also been dazzled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene
This famous researcher was of Jewish origin at a time of severe persecution.
69. I am convinced that some political and social activities as well as some practices of Catholic organizations are harmful and even dangerous
Einstein didn’t agree with the church.
70. When I was asked about a weapon capable of counteracting the power of the atomic bomb I suggested the best one of all: Peace
Man does not make war if he does not want to .
71. When we learn to give and receive this universal energy, dear Lieserl, we will see that love conquers all
Love is a very powerful weapon to bring people together.
72. There are many university chairs, but few wise and noble teachers. The classrooms are many and large, but there are not many young people with a true thirst for truth and justice
There are few individuals with a true critical spirit.
73. Nature hides her secrets because of her essential haughtiness, not because she is rude
Nature does not claim to be superior to anyone else, but acts naturally.
74. In view of such harmony in the cosmos that I, with my humble mind, am able to recognize; it surprises me that there are even people who say that there is no God. But what really bothers me is that they quote me, to back up their arguments
Once again, Albert Einstein talks about religious beliefs.
75. In the summer of 1939, Dr. Szilard presented to me his views on the potential importance of uranium for national defence
The use of uranium, many times, has had an arms interest.
76. The important thing is not to stop asking questions
The human being must never stop reflecting.
77. Our experiences consist of the reproduction and combination of sensory impressions, the concept of a soul without a body, seems to me empty and without meaning
Body and mind are intimately related and therefore part of the human experience.
78. We see the universe, beautifully ordered and functioning according to its laws, but we barely manage to understand those laws a little
A quote that, without a doubt, makes us reflect on the greatness of the universe and its mysterious essence.
79. We know nothing of the world or of God. All our knowledge is nothing more than the knowledge of a primary school child
We humans develop ourselves and so does our cognitive capacity and intelligence.
80. There are things that I will never understand, either in this life or in another.
An ironic phrase about how some things are strange to us.
81. The words mean whatever you want them to mean
It is not the events themselves that make us react in a certain way, but how we relate to them.
82. I believe in the God of Spinoza, who revealed himself in the harmony of all that exists. Not in the God who hides behind the faith and actions of men
According to Einstein, the important thing is to reveal oneself in a harmony of the existing, not in a God who is interested in the destiny and actions of human beings.
83. I have repeatedly said that in my opinion, the idea of a personal god is a child’s thought. You can call it agnostic, but I do not share the crusades of professional atheists
A statement that shares the idea of the previous point.
84. It is not the result of scientific research that ennobles human beings and enriches their nature, but the struggle to understand while doing creative, open-minded intellectual work
For Einstein, the attempt to understand is what makes people noble.
85. For those of us who are tied to old age, death comes as a release
Old age can be difficult for some people.
86. We are just children who have walked into a bookstore full of books in many languages. We know that someone must have written those books, we don’t know how
A personal reflection of Einstein’s but applicable to everyone.
87. There are two ways of looking at life: one is by believing that there are no miracles, the other is by believing that everything is a miracle
A way to compare the mentality of believers and non-believers.
88. Two things are infinite: human stupidity and the universe; and I’m not really sure about the latter
A humorous statement that human stupidity is common. It is also one of Albert Einstein’s most famous phrases .
89. Fanatical atheists are like slaves who still feel the weight of the chains they have long since managed to remove with so much effort
A criticism of fanatical atheists. Fanaticism and prejudice are closely related.
90. He who does not possess the gift of wonder and enthusiasm would rather be dead, because his eyes are closed
You have to be motivated to live, because if it doesn’t make sense to stay alive.
91. God is there, governed by the rules of nature, and can be discovered by anyone who has the courage, imagination, and persistence to go in search of him
Making it clear that the only God that exists is nature.
92. One always instinctively does everything possible to postpone the arrival of the final deal
Death is not a dish most mortals enjoy.
93. The search for truth is what moves many people
Many individuals are curious and try to find meaning in their lives.
94. I have only mentioned birth control here and elsewhere, when population growth itself represents a risk to people’s health and an obstacle to any attempt to organize peace on the planet
Einstein, throughout his life, gave his opinion on many subjects, whether or not they were related to his work discipline.
95. Life is very dangerous. Not for people who do evil, but for those who sit and watch what happens
The problem, many times, is not that a person tries to do evil, but that no one forbids it.
96. I have decided that when my time comes, I will bite the dust with as little medical assistance as possible
An opinion of Einstein about his last days of life .
97. My political ideal is democratic
Democracy was at the core of this researcher’s ideas.
98. Imagination is more important than knowledge
Creativity is a form of intelligence that not everyone masters.
99. Science is the attempt to make the chaotic diversity of our sensory experience correspond to a logically uniform system of thought
Science seeks to explain events that may seem confusing around us.
100. The joy of seeing and understanding is nature’s most perfect gift
Paying attention and trying to understand what is happening around us is a great virtue.
101. If your intention is to describe the truth, do so with simplicity and elegance, leave it to the tailor
When we try to understand complex truth, it is necessary to simplify it.
102. The word progress has no meaning as long as there are unhappy children
The objective of science must be the well-being of people.
103. What separates me from those so-called atheists is my feeling of humility towards the innumerable secrets of the harmony of the cosmos
Although Einstein did not believe in God, he respected the opinions of others.
104. Curiosity should be part of our daily life
People must be curious to understand what is going on around them.
105. A man’s value to his community is often determined by how he directs his sensitivity, his thought and his action towards the demands of others
Not everyone has the same degree of empathy or the same intention to help others.
106. I have no special talents, but I am deeply curious
Einstein claims not to be a genius, but a very curious person.
107. Science is nothing but a refinement of everyday thought
A very personal way of defining science.
108. The life of a man without religion is meaningless; and it not only makes him unhappy, but also makes him incapable of living
The author tries to explain why some people are believers.
109. I never think about the future. It comes too soon
The important thing is to be thinking about the present, because the future cannot be lived yet.
110. The greatest mystery of the world is that it is understandable
What science fails to prove, becomes very mysterious .
111. A person who has never made a mistake never tries anything new
Mistakes are great opportunities to grow and learn.
112. The ideals that illuminate my path and again and again have given me courage to face life with joy have been: kindness, beauty and truth
These three elements are three great virtues that a person can possess.
113. Maturity begins to manifest itself when we feel that our concern is greater for others than for ourselves
When we’re younger, we tend to be more self-centered.
114. Crazy is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. If you’re looking for different results, don’t always do the same thing
If you want to change your life, it’s best to take a different path.
115. Man finds God behind every door that science manages to open
Science and religion are different things, because science pretends to prove the facts, religion does not.
116. Humanity’s desire for peace can only become a reality through the creation of a world government
If we want peace in the world , borders must disappear.
117. The mind is like a parachute… It only works if we have it open
Being open-minded is one of the best qualities someone can possess.
118. You can’t blame gravity for falling in love
An ingenious play on words that cannot be translated and that also has to do with the field in which Einstein was an expert.
119. The only thing really valuable is intuition
Intuition is often the right way .
120. Emotions sometimes do not allow us to reflect as we should
We are emotional beings, and not controlling our emotions can make us make some mistakes.
121. Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character
Positive will and attitude are some of the keys to achieving what we want.
122. Try not to become a man of success, but to become a man of value
A person of value is one who performs at his best in what he does.
123. The fundamental concepts and principles of science are free inventions of the human spirit
We humans need to understand and therefore rely on science .
124. An empty stomach is a bad counselor
When emotions dominate us, reason can take a back seat.
125. Someone who has never made a mistake has never tried something new
You learn from your mistakes. They are keys to change and improvement.