Humility is the ability of human beings to recognize their limitations and weaknesses and to act with their feet on the ground, always with respect for others.
This virtue, along with honesty, which is the ability to be honest with oneself and others, makes us become people worthy of trust and respect. Who doesn’t like to be surrounded by people like that?
Phrases on humility and honesty
Since these virtues make individuals great, in the following lines you can find a collection of the best phrases on humility and honesty .
1. Honesty is as rare as a man who does not deceive himself
Sometimes it is not easy to find authentic and honest people, but when you succeed in trying, you should value them.
2. Forgiving others is not a symptom of weakness, but of humility
We may think that we are little for forgiving others, but we are not. Forgiveness honors us.
3. A good repentance is the best medicine for the sicknesses of the soul
Repentance is part of life. We all make mistakes, we have to know how to recognize them.
4. Greatness does not consist of a prominent position, greatness belongs to the one who rejects that position
Despite being at the top, we must be humble.
5. When someone sings his own praises, he always has the tone too high
A reflection that refers to conceited people.
6. There is something about humility that strangely exalts the heart
To be humble is one of the best virtues a human being can possess.
7. To become big, you have to start by becoming small
One is not born a master. You have to work your way up to being an expert. One of the most inspiring phrases about humility
8. You shouldn’t gloat over whatever you’ve done; you should go ahead and find something better to do
We mustn’t rest on our laurels if we don’t want to get stuck.
9. The great lesson of life is to know that even fools are right sometimes
Being humble means being tolerant of other people’s opinions.
10. Humility is the solid foundation of all virtues
Confucius reminds us how important it is to be humble.
11. The best friend of truth is time, the greatest enemy is prejudice, and its constant companion is humility
Charles Caleb Colton gives us this beautiful phrase about truth and humility .
12. Too many people overestimate what they are not and underestimate what they are
We human beings can focus on our defects and put aside our virtues.
13. It wasn’t until late in life that I discovered how simple it is to say “I don’t know”
It’s hard to admit that we don’t know everything, but we’re honored to do it.
14. Don’t talk about yourself, it will be done when you leave
No need to get cocky. If we do it right, the others will remember us.
15. Rarely do great opportunities arise to help others, but small ones surround us every day
We can make small gestures for others to make them happy , we don’t always have to do big things.
16. Recognizing that we have made a mistake makes us great
The most honest people recognize that they are not always right.
17. Titles do not honor men, men honor titles
A title is useless if the person does not represent it as it should.
18. Humility consists in keeping our virtues quiet and allowing others to discover them
We must not impose anything or pretend to like it. We must open our hearts.
19. Principles for living well include the ability to face problems with courage, disappointments with joy, and achievements with humility
Life is not always easy, but we must learn to accept our failures and value our good times.
20. Great is only he who can do without the applause and favor of the crowd
There is no need to continually seek recognition. If we do our best, it comes only.
21. It is unwise to be too sure of one’s wisdom
We must be humble even in terms of our knowledge and intelligence.
22. A man does immense good if he doesn’t care who gets the credit
When someone does not seek recognition, he acts from the heart .
23. It is much more impressive when others discover your good qualities without your help
We can talk a lot and not prove anything. We can also talk little and prove a lot.
24. Be humble when you go up so that they will be lenient with you when you come down
If we are arrogant at the top, we can suffer the consequences in the hours below.
25. Life is a great lesson in humility
Life teaches us every day that we have to walk with our feet on the ground.
26. Be humble and pay attention to your ear
A way of saying that we should be humble and listen to others.
27. The instruments of good people are always the humble ones
One of our values must always be to be humble.
28. Everyone you know knows something you don’t know, learn from them
It’s good to learn from other people and enrich our lives.
29. The real merit, like a river, the deeper it is, the less noise it makes
When one is humble, one does not boast of one’s triumphs . The others will recognize them on their own.
30. “Thank you” is the best prayer anyone could say. It expresses extreme gratitude, humility, and understanding
There are few virtues more beneficial to us than gratitude and humility.
31. Few are humble, because it takes a self-esteem that few possess
High self-esteem helps us behave with confidence. We don’t need to pretend, because we’re comfortable with who we are.
32. A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to take advantage of them, and strong enough to correct them
Everyone, at some point in their life, can make mistakes. But with humility and strength we can fix them.
33. Pride makes us artificial and humility makes us real
Humility helps us to show ourselves as we are. It makes us authentic .
34. Without humility there can be no humanity
Humility makes us good people. People that everyone would enjoy having around them.
35. The man who thinks he can live without others is wrong; the man who thinks others can live without him is even more deluded
A phrase that talks about how we can be better.
36. Humility is making a correct estimate of oneself
Humility is touching with your feet on the ground, it is connecting with yourself.
37. The firm, the fighting, the simple and the modest are close to virtue
Confucius, with this phrase, reminds us of some of the best virtues of the human being.
38. Humility is attentive patience
If being patient is one of the best qualities a human being can possess, so is humility.
39. Humility, that sweet root from which all heavenly virtues grow
According to Thomas Moore, the supreme virtue of human beings is humility.
40. No one is greater than those willing to be corrected
A reflection by William Safire, which invites us to think deeply about the greatness of people.
41. I always say “be humble but firm”. Humility and openness are the key to success without compromising your beliefs
One should not set aside one’s thoughts and opinions when one is humble.
42. It is good to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one insignificant exception, is composed of others
Relationships with others are key to our well-being and therefore we must be humble.
43. People who put themselves above others will fall further and harder
The fall is much stronger when we try to be above the others .
44. A True Genius Admits He Knows Nothing
A smart person knows not to disrespect others or look down on them.
45. When we are great in humility, we are closer to the great
If anything makes us stand out from the crowd, it’s when we’re humble. A curious paradox.
46. Have the humility to learn from those around you
When we have our feet on the ground, we can observe and learn from others.
47. There is no respect for others without humility
It is impossible for us to show respect to others if we are not humble people.
48. Talking about yourself a lot can also be a way of hiding yourself
Friedrich Nietzsche explains how low self-esteem can make us unhumble.
49. A great man is always willing to be small
In this phrase, small refers to humility. But a humble person is, in fact, very big.
50. Only when a man has been defeated can his true greatness be discovered
In bad times the worst of us can come out, but also the best.
51. Humility enriches the soul
Humility makes us pure beings, transparent people.
52. Traits such as humility, courage and empathy are easily overlooked, although it is very important to find them in your closest relationships
Sometimes we don’t value the good values of some people, except when we lose these people we loved.
53. When you perceive the applause of triumph, let the laughter you provoked with your failures also sound in your ears
The good moments must be savored when they arrive, and the bad ones must be recognized.This is the best way to learn from them.
54. When pride comes, dishonor also comes; but with the humble is wisdom
Pride is one of the biggest defects . They don’t let us recognize our own mistakes or learn from them.
55. When science discovers the center of the universe, many people will be upset to realize that they are not themselves
Self-centered people may believe that the world revolves around them when in fact it does not.
56. The higher we are situated, the more humble we should be
Humility makes us even greater than we are. Pride makes us smaller.
57. Humility is the only true wisdom that prepares us for all possible changes in life
This courage is a sign of intelligence and wisdom.
58. Humility is nothing but the truth, and pride is nothing but a lie
Humility is a positive quality of people, pride a negative one.
59. The less one is, the more one takes care of everything
Humility makes us be in the present, and makes us keep fighting to be better.
60. Throughout my life, I have often had to eat my words, and I must confess that I have always found it a healthy diet
A phrase with a certain touch of irony that speaks about humility.
61. Power is dangerous unless you have humility
Having power can be positive, but power, if misused, can cause many problems.
62. Humility precedes honor
A proverb that makes it very clear that honesty and humility are very close.
63. Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it is thinking less of yourself
Humility has to do with having a high relational intelligence.
64. Humility makes you see further
Being humble means that you can learn from others .
65. If I have learned anything in this incredible journey we call life, it is that the sign of a truly successful individual is humility
A quote that makes clear the relationship between success and humility.
66. We are closer to being great when we are humble
Humility is a characteristic that people worthy of remembrance possess.
67. It is better to humble the spirit with the humble than to divide the spoils with the proud
Pride is a disease that slowly kills the soul.
68. The key to humility? To do and to disappear
An explanation of what it means to be humble. Humility is doing without asking for praise.
69. No one is as empty as those who are full of themselves
Those people who claim to be excellent, in fact, are anything but.
70. Great leaders don’t need to play hard to get. Their confidence and humility serve to underline their hardness
When you are totally confident, you don’t have to look tough.
71. Humility is life
Humility helps us to live in harmony with ourselves and others.
72. Humility is a necessary veil for all graces
William Gurnall, humility is one of the best acknowledgements .
73. Do nothing out of strife or vainglory; but in humility, esteeming each other better than yourselves
Humility should come from the heart, not from trying to look good for others.
74. Humility is making a correct estimate of oneself
Humility is good for those around us, but it is also good for those who practice it.
75. We approach the greatest when we are great in humility
Humility is only in the hands of brilliant people .
76. Let the brother who is of humble condition glory in his exaltation
A way of saying that humble people should be recognized.
77. It is better to be humble and live with the poor than to share wealth with the proud.
It’s always better to be surrounded by humble people than heartless ones.
78. We are all apprentices in a trade where no one becomes a master
Ernest Hemingway pronounced this incredible sentence about how we must learn little by little to become experts .
79. Thinking well is not only of interest to philosophers, but to the simplest people
Having a good heart and thinking honestly makes us a treasure.
80. Believe those who seek the truth, doubt those who have found it
People who can be trusted are those who pretend to be honest and humble.
81. A man only has the right to look down on another when he has to help him get up
We can only look over our shoulder to help the other person recover after a fall.
82. The art of life is to be happy with little
Being humble and content with what one has makes us happy and special people.
83. There are great men who make everyone else feel small. But true greatness is making everyone feel great
Being great means treating everyone with respect and treating them equally
84. Nothing is so low and vile as to be haughty with the humble
Miserable is he who looks down on someone humble.