Errors are the mechanism by which we manage to evolve as individuals and grow as people . Nobody is born knowing everything about life or the world around them, so through the trial/error method it is possible for people to learn how we should act and why we should act in a certain way.
No one in the history of mankind has lived his life without making a single mistake, which is why even the most relevant people in society and great thinkers have ever come across this circumstance, in turn expressing their ideas about how they felt at that time.
- You may want to read: “135 motivational phrases for focusing on success”
Phrases to learn from mistakes and failures
Would you like to know how great thinkers have dealt with their mistakes and errors? The following phrases can inspire you to learn from your own mistakes and take a step forward.
1. Freedom is not worthwhile, if it does not entail the freedom to err. (Mahatma Gandhi)
As human beings, we all make mistakes, as even the great Mahatma Gandhi did.
2. Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them. (Bruce Lee)
The value of every error lies in knowing how to overcome it, interiorize it and learn from it.
3. A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
When we face the unknown or wish to innovate, we usually make mistakes.
4. The main trick to making good mistakes is not to hide them, especially from yourself. (Daniel Dennet)
The sooner we recognize a mistake, the sooner we can learn from it.
5. The biggest mistake people make is not making a living doing what they like best. (Malcolm Forbes)
Looking for a job in life that we are passionate about, will always lead us to be happier.
6. Trying to avoid mistakes is the biggest mistake of all. (Steve McConnell)
We should not be afraid of mistakes, they are there so that we can learn from them.
7. Your best teacher is the last mistake you made. (Ralph Nader)
That mistake we made allows us not to make it again, because we have seen where we went wrong.
8. I have gained no wisdom, no insight, no serenity. Today I would make all the same mistakes again. (Woody Allen)
Certain mistakes, even if we knew they were, we would make them again, because they were perhaps good experiences.
9. Man’s biggest mistake is that he thinks he doesn’t deserve the good and bad in his life. (Paulo Coelho)
The only ones who cause all the good or bad in our lives are ourselves, with the decisions we make and the actions we take.
10. The biggest mistake sometimes is to play very safe in this life, which ends up being moral failures. (Dorothy Day)
When we don’t do those activities that we would like to practice for fear of making mistakes, we indirectly make the mistake of never trying.
11. The biggest mistake is believing that there is only one right way to listen, to talk, to have a conversation or to have a relationship. (Deborah Tannen)
We make many mistakes by not knowing how to value and appreciate our personal relationships.
12. No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow your progress, you are still far ahead of those who don’t try. (Tony Robbins)
In order to move forward in life, we must err if necessary a thousand times.
13. A failure is not always a mistake. It may simply be the best thing to do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying. (B. F. Skinner)
If we are not willing to make mistakes, we can never make our dreams come true.
14. When you realize you have made a mistake, take immediate action to correct it. (Dalai Lama)
Mistakes allow us to see where we failed and how we can improve what we did wrong.
15. I’ve learned that the best lessons came from my biggest mistakes. (Gurbaksh Chahal)
Without a doubt, big mistakes are the most valuable lessons we learn.
16. May God allow me to turn my biggest mistake into my biggest success. (Robert Bernhardt)
When we make a big mistake we also learn not to make it again and we can also help others not to make it.
17. One of the greatest human mistakes is to believe that there is only one way. There are many different paths that lead to what you call God. (Oprah Winfrey)
The paths in life are innumerable and with our decisions we choose which one we want to go for.
18. Those who do not make mistakes are making the biggest mistake of all: not trying anything new. (Anthony de Mello)
Being brave in life and making mistakes is an essential part of life, we should not be afraid of making mistakes.
19. The biggest mistake, is being too scared to make one. (Gregory Benford)
Fear can paralyze us and not allow us to act on our thoughts.
20. Who never made a mistake, never made a discovery. (Samuel Smiles)
Science is largely based on making mistakes; every source of knowledge was discovered by mistake.
21. The mistakes obviously show us what we need to improve. Without mistakes, how would we know what we need to work on? (Peter McWilliams)
Being able to see our weaknesses allows us to improve them.
22. Make mistakes faster. (Andy Grove)
The sooner we move forward, the sooner we will achieve our goal, we must not become obsessed with something we cannot change.
23. If you’re not making mistakes, you’re not trying anything. (Wynton Marsalis)
The only way not to fail is to do nothing.
24. Mistakes are almost always of a sacred nature. Never try to correct them. On the contrary: rationalize them, understand them well. Afterwards, it will be possible to sublimate them. (Salvador Dalí)
The great Salvador Dalí gives us a great lesson with this quote, we must listen to him.
25. Failure is the key to success; every mistake teaches us something. (Morihei Ueshiba)
When we have made a thousand mistakes and corrected them, we are a thousand times more capable of succeeding.
26. Life is like learning to swim. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, because there is no other way to learn how to live! (Alfred Adler)
Learning from the good and bad things that happen to us is a big part of our existence.
27. Even one mistake may be all that is needed for a valuable achievement. (Henry Ford)
The tycoon Henry Ford, owner of the automotive giant Ford, undoubtedly had to make many mistakes in order to create one of the largest companies in history.
28. Mistakes are the portals of discovery. (James Joyce)
We can see the errors as a window that allows us to see the success, they are just a formality.
29. People who don’t take risks make about two big mistakes a year. People who take risks make two big mistakes a year. (Peter Drucker)
In the end, whatever we do, we’ll make mistakes. Nobody’s perfect.
30. There are no mistakes or coincidences. All events are blessings to learn. (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross)
From the situations we live we learn everything in life, experiences are something very valuable.
31. It is always useful to learn from mistakes, because then the mistakes become valuable. (Garry Marshall)
Knowing how to find the value of each situation helps us to improve as people.
32. Mistakes are part of life; you can’t avoid them. The only thing we can hope for is that they are not too expensive and that we do not make the same mistake twice. (Read Iacocca)
The human being is the only animal that makes the same mistake twice, why would that be?
33. There is no such thing as failure. Mistakes happen in your life to focus more clearly on who you really are. (Oprah Winfrey)
The great Oprah always encourages us to make our dreams come true, she is certainly a very inspiring woman.
34. The biggest mistake is not doing anything because you think you can only do a little. (Zig Ziglar)
The lack of motivation often leads us to not be braver in life, we must not let this happen.
35. He makes interesting, amazing, glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break the rules. (Neil Gaiman)
Perhaps our biggest mistakes can be seen by others as great successes, it all depends on one’s point of view.
36. Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day without mistakes? (L.M. Montgomery)
Every day we live is a new opportunity to do something new.
37. One mistake does not have to rule a person’s whole life. (Joyce Meyer)
Time passes for everyone and everything, even for mistakes.
38. Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. (Napoleon Bonaparte)
We must know how to take advantage of life’s circumstances in our favour, Napoleon as a strategist knew that very well.
39. It is unwise to be too sure of one’s wisdom. It is healthy to remember that the strongest can be weakened and the wisest can be wrong. (Mahatma Gandhi)
Nothing in life is certain until it becomes reality, we must not anticipate events.
40. Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment. (Rita Mae Brown)
We must live our lives to the fullest, make mistakes, learn from them and move on.
41. Forgive yourself for your failures and mistakes and move on. (Les Brown)
Part of learning from mistakes is forgiving ourselves for having made them.
42. I am selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I’m out of control and sometimes I’m hard to deal with. But if you can’t stand me in the bad times, then you don’t deserve me in the good times. (Marilyn Monroe)
Even Marilyn knew perfectly well that she wasn’t perfect, she was a normal woman like any other.
43. If people can only see you as what you were, remembering the mistakes you have made, if they do not realize that you are not your mistakes, then those people have to leave your life. (Steve Maraboli)
Those people who do not bring something positive into our lives do not deserve to be in them.
44. It was one thing to make a mistake. It was another thing to keep making it. (Jodi Picoult)
If we make the same mistake more than once it is no longer a mistake, perhaps it is more a habit.
45. Some mistakes have more important consequences than others. However, you should not let the result of your mistakes define you. You have the option not to let that happen. (Jojo Moyes)
A mistake does not define the person we are, we can always correct it and start over.
46. I make mistakes like everyone else. In fact, modesty aside, because I am smarter than most men, my mistakes are usually much bigger. (J. K. Rowling)
Great achievements often lead to great mistakes, for without these we will never succeed.
47. When you begin to live the life of your dreams, there will always be obstacles, doubts, errors and setbacks along the way. But with hard work, perseverance and faith in yourself, there is no limit to what you can achieve. (Roy T. Bennett)
A very inspiring quote from which we can all learn, we must be patient and persevering.
48. One mistake? Only one? You’ll be lucky if you make only one. I’ve made dozens. I made four or five on my first day. Of course you’ll make mistakes, just don’t make them twice. (John Flanagan)
Great professionals often make many mistakes before they can achieve business success.
49. In school, we learn that mistakes are bad. We are punished for making them. However, if you observe the way humans learn, you will see that we learn from our mistakes. (Robert T. Kiyosaki)
Indeed, human beings always learn from their mistakes, no doubt we must value them much more than we do.
50. We learn by falling. If we never fall, we’ll never walk. (Robert T. Kiyosaki)
Painful moments teach us how not to have to live them again; the human being is a species capable of achieving everything he sets out to do.
51. The mistakes I made are dead to me. But I can’t take back the things I never did. (Jonathan Safran Foer)
What we ever let go and don’t realize are the real mistakes: the missed opportunities.
52. I’m glad I didn’t pay attention to good advice. If I had been guided by them, I would have been saved from the most valuable mistakes of my life. (Edna St. Vincent)
Some of the most valuable lessons come to us in the strangest ways, something that seemed wrong may not be.
53. Everybody makes mistakes. The important thing is not to make the same mistake twice. (Stephen Perkins)
Not to fall into the same problem again is something we must all promise each other.
54. Making mistakes is not a crime, what’s the point of having a reputation if you can’t ruin it once in a while? (Simone Elkeles)
As imperfect beings, we all make mistakes from time to time.
55. What a waste of time my life would be without all the mistakes I’ve made. (Alice Bag)
In life, suffering from certain ups and downs is very common and happens to all of us.
56. As long as the world keeps turning, we will be dizzy and make mistakes. (Mel Brooks)
The grace of life is that it has good and bad moments, that way we can appreciate when we live a good moment.
57. To take a step back after taking the wrong path is to take a step in the right direction. (Kurt Vonnegut)
Sometimes, in order to move forward, we have to go backwards in our journey to fix possible mistakes we have made.
58. Errors are the growing pains of wisdom. (William Jordan)
In order to achieve a certain degree of wisdom, we must first have made a large number of mistakes or errors.
59. If we lie about having made a mistake, then it cannot be corrected, and then it becomes infected. (Terry Goodkind)
We should not use lies in our lives, they never bring anything positive and in the end the truth always comes out.
60. Sometimes when you lose your way, you find yourself. (Mandy Hale)
A great quote from Mandy Hale that encourages us to “get lost” metaphorically in life so that we can find our way.
61. You can always find contradictions and hope in desperate circumstances, and a sense of redemption in someone who makes the same mistake over and over again. (Chris Bauer)
Life goes round in circles and the experiences we live should be valued by what they make us feel as individuals, not by what others think.
62. One of the biggest mistakes girls can make about their romantic life is to sit around and wait for their prince to find them, instead of going out and finding him themselves. (Meg Cabot)
There is no such thing as the famous Prince Charming, only men with their virtues and their defects.
63. If ever there was a misnomer, it was “exact science.” Science has always been full of mistakes. Today is no exception. Our errors are good errors; for they require genius to correct them. (Edward Teller)
Science has always based its discoveries on a large number of corrected errors.
64. People who are not willing to make mistakes or have made mistakes and have not yet learned from them, are those who wake up every morning and continue to make the same mistakes. (Robert Kiyosaki)
When we don’t learn from an experience is when we really fail as a person.
65. A realist is a man who insists on making the same mistakes his grandfather made. (Benjamin Disraeli)
The way our parents and grandparents are marked for life, when we are children the peculiarities of our parents are marked by fire.
66. If we do not know our own history, then we will simply endure the same mistakes, the same sacrifices, the same absurdities over and over again. (Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn)
We must always remember the past so as not to choose the same paths in the labyrinth of evolution again.
67. From everything that has happened to me, I have learned a lesson: that there is no such thing as “the biggest mistake of your life” and no such thing as “ruining your life”. It turns out that life is pretty flexible. (Sophie Kinsella)
Life can endure much more than we imagine, the only thing that has no solution is death.
68. Instead of denying when you make a mistake, you should become aware of your own mistakes, turning them over in your mind as if they were works of art, because in some way they are. (Daniel Dennett)
The search for knowledge can take us down the most unsuspected paths.
69. If we give up because we have made a mistake, even if it is a very big one, then we will not get far in life. (Terry Goodkind)
In life we must never give up; perseverance is the source from which all personal achievement emanates.
70. Being very young, I learned that people make mistakes and that you have to decide if their mistakes are greater than the love you feel for them. (Angie Thomas)
Valuing our friends or family for their positive and negative aspects as a whole is something we should all do.
71. True friends will always encourage you to achieve the possibilities of your future. False friends will chain you to the mistakes of your past. (Seth Brown)
We must know how to surround ourselves with those people who drive us to improve our lives.
72. Do you know what it is like to lie in bed without being able to sleep, with thoughts that haunt you, making you remember your past mistakes? (Lang Leav)
Spinning the problems too much will not help us solve them, we must simply learn from them and move forward.
73. One of the basic rules of the universe is that nothing is perfect. Perfection simply does not exist. Without imperfection, neither would you exist. (Stephen Hawking)
The ambiguity in the universe is total, the good and the bad, the beautiful and the ugly.
74. Your unhappiest clients are your greatest source of learning. (Bill Gates)
Knowing what others want and how to give it to them can lead us down a path to wealth.
75. Sometimes, we need to lose sight of our priorities in order to see them. (John Irving)
What do we really want? That may be one of the biggest questions a human being can ask.
76. I’m afraid we all make mistakes. One of the things that defines our character is the way we handle mistakes. (Terry Goodkind)
How we react to an action is what defines us as people.
77. Curiosity is the lust of the mind. (Thomas Hobbs)
Curiosity is one of the greatest gifts of the human being, because of it we have always advanced in the search for knowledge.
78. After all, mistakes are the foundation of truth. If a man does not know what a thing is, he can at least increase his knowledge if he knows what it is not. (C. G. Jung)
A great way to see the mistakes, we learn from everything in life, if we so wish.
79. The worst mistake you can make in life is to continually believe that you are going to make one. (Elbert Hubbard)
To expect that everything will always happen the same way is a negative thing, we should not anticipate events.
80. If you screw something up, don’t hide it, don’t rationalize it. Admit it, admit it, and learn from it. We never stop learning. (John Flanagan)
We must not hide our imperfections, we must learn from them and turn them into strengths.
81. The worst mistakes of my life were my haircuts. (Jim Morrison)
The style was that it was of great concern to the famous vocalist of the group The Doors.
82. Don’t confuse poor decisions with fate. Own your mistakes. It’s okay, we all make them. Learn from them and you’ll gain power. (Steve Maraboli)
Positive and negative experiences will lead us to where we want to be, everything is learned in life.
83. I’ve learned all sorts of things from my many mistakes. The only thing I’ve never learned is to stop making them. (Joe Abercrombie)
No matter how hard we try, there will always be new things to learn.
84. We all make mistakes sometimes. From time to time, we do wrong things, things that have negative consequences. But that does not mean that we are evil or that we cannot be trusted. (Alison Croggon)
Not being perfect does not make us bad people; bad people are those who seek to cause evil in others.
85. Today, most people die because of common sense and discover, when it is too late, that the only thing one does not regret is one’s mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)
Being too cautious can lead to not enjoying many of life’s pleasures.