Elsa Punset is a writer and philosopher well known for her work in spreading psychology . She is the daughter of Eduard Punset, also a well-known science populariser, and her books include the following: Una mochila para el Universo (A rucksack for the Universe) and El Mundo en tus manos (The World in your Hands).
Elsa Punset was born in London. She has always been passionate about literature, so she graduated in Philosophy and Letters. She also has several Masters: in Humanities, in Journalism and in Secondary Education.
Famous phrases of Elsa Punset
Below you can find a list with the best phrases of Elsa Punset to approach her way of understanding science and life.
1. A person is 15 percent more likely to be happy if she is directly connected to a happy person
When we surround ourselves with people with positive characteristics, we can benefit from their presence.
2. We trust nice people more than beautiful ones
People who are nice and treat us well give us more confidence than those who are physically more attractive.
3. Listen to your intuition and strengthen your intelligence: make outlines of what you want to achieve, set clear goals, understand and assume the difficulties
A positive attitude like this and the advice that Elsa gives us are keys to success.
4. If you want to stay emotionally connected to your partner despite the years, you have to make time for it. The message is that we are basically chemistry and electricity and connecting with the other person requires giving time to each other. Not only mentally, but physically. Several studies indicate that a hug should last at least six seconds for bonding to occur and for the appropriate hormones to be secreted to provide well-being
Hugs help us release oxytocin, the hormone related to attachment.
5. Crises enhance evolution and that changes that seemed difficult or impossible may even occur relatively quickly
The delicate moments we go through can help us grow as human beings.
6. It’s not enough to think, not even to think positively. We have to get on with it!
Thinking positive is fine, but it is no use if these thoughts do not translate into action.
7. We have gone from a very hierarchical world where communication between us was very difficult to a world where suddenly, thanks to the digital era, we communicate with each other at full speed, we are very close, we are very enriched because we no longer need great efforts to start things, in training or to start projects and there are many examples in the last two decades
The relationship between people has changed as a result of the inclusion of new technologies in our daily lives.
8. Humans need stability. But too much stability can mean that we have given up using our abilities, our creativity, that we lock ourselves into a role and a script that we learned in childhood and that perhaps does not make us happy. Don’t be a slave without knowing it
A quote that comes to say that far from the comfort zone is where we can develop our talents.
9. Be compassionate, because every person you come across is fighting a tough battle
Compassion is one of the best virtues that human beings have and which positively affects their interpersonal relationships.
10. Changing one’s mind in times of crisis is fundamental for survival, both in economic and personal crises
Many times crises come to us because of the wrong beliefs we hold.
11. Emotions are the result of how we experience, physically and mentally, the interaction between our internal world and the external world
Our emotional experience is determined by how we relate to the events around us.
12. Even bad things can be beneficial
Bad life experiences serve to restructure our beliefs and thoughts into more adaptive ones.
13. To forgive is not to forget: it is to remember what has hurt us and to let it go
In forgiveness lies acceptance, not oblivion.
14. Emotionally intelligent education teaches the child to tolerate frustration and to understand and accept that others also have needs and rights
Emotional intelligence makes us happier and promotes our mental well-being.
15. A kiss that works acts like a drug because it stimulates a cocktail of hormones and neurotransmitters. It raises what they call the love hormone, oxytocin, which creates medium- and long-term bonds. It also increases dopamine, especially in the first kisses of a relationship, and encourages desire, that feeling that you can’t wait to be with someone when you fall in love
Kissing, like hugging, releases oxytocin, which is known as the attachment hormone.
16. With fears and embarrassments, almost all the unexpected and fun things, opportunities and unsuspected encounters escape down the drain
When we are afraid of life, we stop enjoying it and experience it as we would like to.
17. The fear of failure disappears when it cannot save you
The fear of failure makes it impossible for us to grow as human beings and do what we would like to do.
18. The heart tells you what you need if you let it speak and you know how to listen to it
Self-knowledge is key to our well-being and our growth as people.
19. Empathy allows us to share these emotions and is the touchstone of our social intelligence
Empathy is a social skill that all people should possess.
20. The television and screens absorb more and more of our time, we consult our phones on average about 150 times a day, and so on. This trend should be monitored, as the emotional connection you make when you talk to someone depends largely on how many times you look them in the eye. This is the most intense form of non-verbal communication
The new ways of relating to each other that are the result of new technologies can cause communication problems if we are not careful.
21. No feeling is more decisive in our lives, none has a more radical impact on our ability to be happy, none justifies the immense social networks, responsibilities, desires and longings that weigh on people from birth to death. It is love
If there is one feeling that floods us and changes our lives completely, it is love, which can become like a drug for us.
22. Love guides us, gives us hope, makes us sad and moves us above all else
Another quote about love and the great impact it has on our thinking and behavior.
23. We are not what we think, we are what we feel (…), behind every rational thought lies an emotion
Emotions have a big impact on our behavior. Some experts even claim that they are behind even the rational decisions we make.
24. If you know why you do things you will be able to change the things you don’t like
Knowing yourself and being fully aware of what you are doing gives you feedback on what you are doing wrong and helps you change what you don’t like about your life.
25. The elements that most contribute to happiness are still those that have been in the mouths of the wise for centuries: gratitude, forgiveness, compassion, knowing how to enjoy the little things that accompany us daily and having a network of affections that is not necessarily wide but solid
Being happy is much simpler than we think, but it is not easy to put these qualities into practice.
26. We only flourish if our emotional needs, especially the need for protection and affection, are met
When we don’t feel loved and protected, we can’t be happy.
27. There is a growing conviction that we have the potential to be creative and to transform how we perceive or experience reality. This gives us a certain responsibility and power over our daily lives
We can control our life to a greater or lesser extent if we do something to make this happen.
28. Children come to demand grueling attention from parents: sometimes it seems that nothing is enough and many parents wonder where they should draw the line to ensure their own well-being. Educating requires a strenuous physical and emotional commitment and parents also need to pay attention to their physical and emotional health.show that attitude regularly
Raising a child can be complicated, but it is necessary for parents to be on good terms with themselves in order to make parenting the best possible.
29. I’ve learned that you can discover a lot about a person if you look at how they deal with these three things: losing their luggage, a rainy day, and a tangled string of Christmas lights
Life can be full of situations where great problem-solving ability is needed.
30. Be consistent with what you say and do, and remember that the child will incorporate your behaviors, rather than your words, into his or her life
If you want your child to be respectful and kind, you must be respectful and kind first.
31. Before the world there are only two attitudes: fear or love
People can behave in many ways, but the fear of doing things and showing our emotions can largely determine our success in interpersonal relationships.
32. There are people who have discovered really wonderful things but who have previously accumulated a great deal of failure
You don’t get to success through a bed of roses. Successful people are successful because they have fought against all odds to achieve it.