Hans Christian Andersen’s phrases reveal a brilliant mind that evolved through his love for different types of artistic expression. It is in the world of children’s stories that he achieves recognition thanks to works such as The Ugly Duckling or The Snow Queen ; the stories and reflections of this Danish writer are based on a language as direct and simple as it is revealing.
The best of Hans Christian Andersen’s sentences
We will then go through Hans Christian Andersen’s phrases that best reflect his thinking, a philosophy towards the natural and a subtle humour.
1. The angel plucks a large handful of flowers and carries them with him to God, where the flowers bloom more than ever on earth
This sentence by Hans Christian Andersen refers to what transcends the eternal.
2. Every man’s life is a fairy tale written by the hand of the Lord
This sentence tries to give a divine and poetic touch to our lives.
3. To travel is to live
A reflection on life trajectory.
4. Enjoy life. There’s plenty of time to be dead
With simple words he talks about the need to dedicate more time to the present .
5. Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale
In his stories, Hans Christian Andersen only wanted to express his perception of life.
6. Most of the people walking behind me will be children, so I will keep my steps short
About the example we are leaving in those who are still starting.
7. My life is a beautiful, happy and eventful story
The writer openly shows us his position on life.
8. Rome is like a book of fables, on each page you find a prodigy
A way to value this city.
9. Where words fail, music speaks
Music as a way of expressing emotions.
10. When the bird of the heart begins to sing, too often reason paralyzes our ears
One of Hans Christian Andersen’s sentences in which talks about the clash between reason and emotion .
11. “Simply living is not enough,” said the butterfly, “one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower”
An analogy about living.
12. The whole world is a series of miracles, but we are so used to them that we call them ordinary things
This sentence by Hans Christian Andersen, brings us closer to how we value the simple but important aspects that life gives us.
13. Everything you look at can become a fairy tale and you can get a story out of everything you touch
An invitation to use creativity and the various resources you can use.
14. Death walks faster than the wind and never returns what it has taken
Hans Christian Andersen’s phrase about death and what it entails.
15. Being useful to the world is the only way to be happy
When you find joy, in the act of serving.
16. It doesn’t matter if you are born in a duck yard, as long as you come out of a swan’s egg
The environment cannot determine what we are.
17. My life will be the best illustration of all my work
Another sentence by Hans Christian Andersen relating stories to the way we exist .
18. You are a dreamer, and that is your misfortune
When we are slaves to our best qualities.
19. She had never danced so beautifully; the sharp knives cut her feet, but she did not feel it, because the pain in her heart was much greater
When emotional grief transcends any other kind of pain.
20. But should not all of us on earth give the best we have to others and offer what is in our power?
This sentence by Hans Christian Andersen talks about generosity.
21. Traveling strangely expands the mind
By contacting us with different experiences we accumulate more knowledge.
22. Now he was happy to have suffered pain and problems, because it allowed him to enjoy much better all the pleasure and happiness that surrounded him.
In this sentence by Hans Christian Andersen, the sacrifice made to achieve some objective is valued .
23. When we get to the end of the story, you will know more than you do now
About the importance of knowing and living all the processes.
24. Since he could not get close to all these wonderful things, he longed for them even more
What is elusive often becomes our dreams.
25. Well, that’s not easy to answer when the question is so stupidly…
On trivial questions.
26. But these are small problems, people will say. Yes, but they are drops that have holes in the rock
Everyone has a different perspective on things.
27. The good and the beautiful is not forgotten; it lives in the legend and in the song
About doing something interesting that lasts over time, making it art.
28. Human beings… have souls that live forever, live after the body has turned to dust. It rises through the clear, pure air beyond the bright stars
Hans Christian Andersen’s phrases often deepen the feeling of transcendence.
29. But a mermaid has no tears, and therefore she suffers much more
When we lack the means to express our emotions , the regret is greater.
30. If you look down into the depths of my soul, you will fully understand the source of my longing and pity for me. Even the open and transparent lake has unknown depths, which no diver knows
Each person keeps elements that are not so nice or interesting to others.
31. You have become the only thought in my mind, the first love of my heart: I had no love before. I love you as no love on earth was forged, I love you now and I love you always
Hans Christian Andersen’s phrase about love.
32. A human life is a story told by God
Another phrase where he applies the poetic and divine sense to life.