Louis Pasteur’s 30 best quotes
In this compilation of phrases by Louis Pasteur we will see fragments of the thought of this renowned scientist. Reflections on knowledge, the universe, psychology and many other interesting areas.
Who was Louis Pasteur?
Louis Pasteur was a French chemist , better known as the father of microbiology and the greatest exponent of modern medicine. This last fact is due to his contributions to the theory of the microbial origin of infectious diseases, which explains that the cause of these diseases is the penetration of environmental pathogens in the healthy organism.
In addition, he too is given credit for pasteurization , the thermal process to which milk is subjected to reduce the bacteria it contains.
Phrases of Louis Pasteur
Throughout his life, this famous historical figure uttered and wrote many well-known phrases. In this article we review them:
1. I want to share with you the secret that has led me to achieve all my goals: my strength lies solely in my tenacity
Tenacity is, for many people, one of the most valued qualities in achieving success.
2. A little science leads away from God, but a lot of science leads back to Him
An apparent paradox contained in a phrase about the divine and its relationship to science.
3. Wondering is the first step to discovery
According to Pasteur, admiration is the beginning of the discovery.
4. Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to mankind, and is the torch that lights up the world
One of Louis Pasteur’s many phrases emphasizing the following idea: scientific knowledge must be objective and therefore sincere.
5. The universe is asymmetrical and I am convinced that life is a direct result of the asymmetry of the universe, or of its indirect consequences
A thought-provoking sentence by Louis Pasteur.
6. Applied sciences do not exist, only the applications of science
A reflection on what defines the concept of science.
7. In the field of research, chance only favors prepared spirits
In research it is necessary to reduce as much as possible the probability of error and the influence of variables that are not interested in measuring.
8. If I don’t know something, I’ll look into it
We can’t know everything. Research helps us to find out.
9. Real friends have to get angry from time to time
It is impossible for there not to be conflict in close interpersonal relationships. Overcoming them can bring the two people together.
10. It is the overcoming of difficulties that makes heroes
No matter how many times you fall, you have to get up and fight.
11. I am absolutely convinced that science and peace triumph over ignorance and war, that nations will eventually unite not to destroy but to build, and that the future belongs to those who have done much for the good of humanity
Although it may seem like a utopia, one of Pasteur’s wishes is that people will come together to create a better world.
12. Chance favors a well-trained mind
People who try hard are the ones luck smiles on.
13. Randomness is something to look for
Luck does not appear by magic, it must be pursued.
14. Do not spare your children the difficulties of life, but teach them to overcome them
Overcoming the difficulties that life presents makes people grow as human beings.
15. Science is the future of humanity
Scientific findings help humans to live better. This sentence by Pasteur points out the usefulness of science.
16. Fortune plays in favor of a prepared mind
Luck is a consequence of taking the right steps.
17. The more I look at nature, the more I admire the creator
Nature is one of the best things we humans can enjoy.
18. It’s not the profession that honors the man. It is the man who honors the profession
The honorable person is the one who shows that she is ready to practice her profession.
19. I am on the edge of the mysteries and the veil is thinner and thinner
Louis Pasteur was always curious, as his findings show.
20. A wine is the healthiest and most hygienic of drinks
Pasteur already made it clear that drinking wine in moderation is beneficial to the body.
21. It is the overcoming of difficulties that makes people great
When we get up after a fall, the experiences serve as a learning experience.
22. Without laboratories, men of science are like soldiers without weapons
For Louis Pasteur, science only makes sense from the experimental context of the laboratory.
23. Science is the soul of the prosperity of nations and the source of all progress
The history of human beings changes thanks to scientific discoveries.
24. Do not assert anything that cannot be proven simply and decisively
Something may not be credible until it’s proven.
25. Two opposing laws seem to be fighting each other today. One is a law of blood and death that ceaselessly imagines new means of destruction and forces nations to be constantly prepared for the battlefield. The other is a law of peace
Peace and war are part of the nature of human beings, according to this researcher.
26. The greatness of human actions is proportional to the inspiration that produces them
Not everything we do is worth remembering. Innovative things are remembered.
27. In the field of observation, luck belongs to the intelligent
People with a lively mind are most successful at discovering details that often go unnoticed.
28. The vets have it easier. At least they are not disoriented by the opinions of their relatives
An ironic quote in reference to the people who visit the doctors.
29. Happy is he who carries within himself a God, an ideal of beauty that follows: ideal of art, ideal of science, the ideal house, ideal of evangelical virtues. These are the springs of life of great thoughts and great actions. They all reflect the light of infinity
Another of Louis Pasteur’s phrases with religious meaning. In this case, he talks about the nature of the divine and its implications for man and his senses.
30. Cultivate a critical spirit. Reduced to itself is neither an awakening of ideas nor a stimulus for great works, but without it the whole is outdated
Critical thinking is necessary to develop ourselves as people.