There are many phrases by Neil Armstrong that were recorded in history books because of their scientific and technological implications. The first human being to set foot on the moon symbolizes many things, and most of them have to do with the way we are able to go beyond our biological limitations to do what seemed impossible before.
Neil Armstrong’s most famous quotes
We will all remember the images of the first astronaut who stepped on the moon , back in 1969. Neil Armstrong, who had served as a military pilot in the Korean War, studied aeronautics and commanded the first expedition to lunar territory with Apollo 11, would become a worldwide reference.
According to government and NASA’s own statements, it was initially believed that the mission would have a high probability of failure. So much so, that the president of the moment, Richard Nixon, claimed to have prepared a written speech in case the men from space never returned. However, there are efforts that are rewarded by unique experiences, and the career of Neil Armstrong and his team is an example of this.
Below you will find the most remembered phrases of this astronaut, who is certainly the most remembered and quoted in history.
1. A small step for man, a big step for humanity
It is probably the most famous sentence of the 20th century regarding the space race .
2. Research is creating new knowledge
Armstrong was a great advocate of science in all areas, as it is useful and greatly enhances our well-being.
3. Mystery creates surprise
It is the reason for human development, curiosity is reproduced in knowledge.
4. Suddenly it occurred to me that it was a blue pea, huge. It was the Earth
It’s like he described his view from space.
5. I didn’t feel like a giant, but like a dwarf
One of the reflections on the emotional impact of being on the Moon
6. Surprise is the human desire to understand
From the unexpected comes the incredible.
7. The research responds to finding out what we don’t know
We are always eager to know more.
8. When you feel overconfident, something goes crazy and bites you
A good line from Armstrong for dealing with situations that seem easy.
9. I always loved helping to solve problems, wherever they were
Neil was always a team player.
10. The space race provided a mechanism for cooperation between adversaries
At the height of the Cold War the two superpowers had moments of cooperation.
11. The arrival on the Moon was a distraction that could have prevented a war
Once again, this event calmed the warlike atmosphere between the USSR and the United States.
12. I always thought there was a 90% chance of success
Under the circumstances, Neil was extremely positive.
13. In life you have to accept a percentage of risk depending on what you are going to achieve
In order to succeed, you have to take risks.
14. When you take off and in the situation you are in, it is difficult to hear anything
That’s what Neil felt when he took off.
15. When things go wrong, you have to think about doing your job well and thinking only about it
We don’t have control over all the variables that affect us.
16. Stepping on the moon was a special and memorable moment, but we had to restrain ourselves because we had work to do at that moment
It was such a thrill when they got there, they had to hold back.
17. I know the moon is waiting for us
Neil Armstrong was eager to reach that scientific milestone.
18. If we had had a lunar module, we would have landed on the moon
Some complications could be avoided.
19. I would love to travel to Mars
There are always goals to pursue.
20. The views were simply majestic, beyond any visual experience I had
With this phrase we can understand the experience it entails.
21. People like conspiracy theories a lot, they are very attractive, but they don’t affect me, I know someone will go back there and bring my camera back
The bad tongues say it was an act of manipulation to win over the USSR in its space race.
22. Going to war made me a better person… because of what I saw there
With this phrase he describes what he could see in the conflict, and at the same time it is a nod to pacifism .
23. Houston, this is Tranquility Base. The eagle has landed
The first line of reassurance they expected from Apollo 11.
24. I don’t intend to waste my heartbeat running around doing exercises
He wasn’t a big fan of physical exercise.
25. We have only completed the beginning, we leave you with much that has not been done
Teamwork is the basis of good research work.
26. The first thing I wanted to do as a child was to design airplanes
Since childhood Neil Armstrong was clear about what he wanted to be.
27. There are great undiscovered ideals, advances available that can remove one of the protective layers of truth
He always wanted to go one step further, and he was one of the mentors for the trips to Mars.
28. I can honestly say that I haven’t had any dreams about traveling to the moon
Funny phrase that few of us agree with.
29. I guess we all like to be recognized
Glory is part of success.
30. Geologists have a saying: rocks remember
This is how he wanted to settle the controversy about the alleged falsity of the facts.
31. Pilots don’t like to walk, just fly
He always had a passion for aviation.
32. We came in peace for all mankind
It was one of the phrases Neil Armstrong pronounced while on the Moon .
33. I am and always will be a nerdy engineer of glasses and pocket protector
Neil didn’t mind this stereotype about scientists.
34. I put my thumb up and erased the earth
One way to describe how small everything can be.
35. The Apollo’s journey shows that our possibilities are unlimited
He laid the foundations of the aeronautical revolution .
36. I commanded the mission by chance, nothing was planned
The luck factor is also important.
37. Gliders or sailplanes, it’s the closest thing to feeling like a bird
With this phrase he intended to describe the sensation of flying.
38. Science has not yet mastered prophecy
For the astronaut, everything remains to be discovered and verified.
39. We predict too much for next year, and nothing for the next 10
A critique of the world of science and technological development
40. My only regret is that my work took too much time
It’s not all rosy roads for a successful person.
41. When I was up there, all I could think about was going home
Neil Armstrong was constantly struggling between emotion and fear .
42. We were in infinity, but we were moving in about 35 square meters
Tough conditions had to be endured by the astronaut team.
43. I will always be remembered for that, but I am a fairly ordinary person
With this phrase he wanted to demonstrate the humility that preceded him.
44. Success creates enemies everywhere
With this sentence he shows us, once again, that success is no guarantee of admiration.
45. When we got to the mainland, I was afraid
It was one of the phrases he said as soon as he landed.