Stephen Hawking’s 85 Greatest Quotes
Stephen William Hawking was a British theoretical physicist, astrophysicist and science communicator very popular today, in large part because of his innovative thinking on black holes and relativity. He is also known to be the author of several popular science books, including “A Brief History of Time”.
He suffered from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), and despite his poor prognosis, he continued to contribute knowledge in an exceptional way.
Scientific phrases and reflections by Stephen Hawking
In honour of this famous figure in the scientific field, below you can find a collection of the best sentences by Stephen Hawking .
1. Life would be tragic if it wasn’t fun
Luckily, human beings can have fun. It’s the best antidote for when things go wrong.
2. The aliens visit us, the result will be like when Columbus came to America, which did not go so well for the Native Americans
A quote from Hawking with a certain joking tone that talks about extraterrestrial life.
3. I don’t think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature: that the only form of life we have created is purely destructive
Human beings can be highly destructive people. You just have to see how some of them behave.
4. Einstein was wrong when he said that “God does not play dice with the Universe”. Considering the black hole hypothesis, God does not just play dice with the universe: sometimes he throws them where we cannot see them
Again, another sentence with a joking tone. This time, about the complexity of the universe .
5. People who brag about their IQ are losers
We people have to be humble, even in reference to our intelligence.
6. We must try to understand the beginning of the Universe on a scientific basis. It may be a task beyond our capabilities, but at least we should try
Understanding the Universe in its entirety is one of the tasks that the human species must carry out.
7. We’re just an advanced race of monkeys on a minor planet of a medium star. But we can understand the universe. That makes us very special
The search for knowledge about the Universe has always inspired Hawking.
8. Science predicts that many different types of the Universe would be spontaneously created from nothing. It is a matter of chance that we are
Hawking has made great strides for science. The Universe is one of his favorite subjects.
9. Women. They are a complete mystery
A phrase to be taken with a sense of humour.
10. Adapting to the environment is what is known as intelligence
Intelligence is the ability we have to adapt to our surroundings.
11. I’m not afraid of death, but I’m in no hurry to die. I have so many things I want to do first
Hawking suffers from a serious illness, but he has never lost the will to live.
12. We must remember things in the order in which entropy increases
Hawking is a great theorist. One of the great geniuses of today.
13. There is no greater challenge than studying the Universe
For Hawking, we must understand the Universe. That’s our mission.
14. When we look at the Universe, we see it as it was in the past
The Universe is so immense that we do not notice the changes that occur in it.
15. If there were events before this time, then it could not affect what is happening now. Their existence can be ignored, as it would have no observational consequences
A great quote from this character, which invites deep reflection.
16. Man’s power of destruction surprises me more and more every day
Human beings can be really destructive to each other.
17. The human race needs an intellectual challenge. It must be boring to be God, and have nothing to discover
A quote with a touch of irony that talks about intelligence.
18. Each of us exists for a short time, and in that time we can explore only a small part of the entire Universe
We must take advantage of our day to day life to investigate, because we do not live forever.
19. I like physics, but I love cartoons
No one would say Hawking enjoys cartoons.
20. The Universe does not allow perfection
One of those reflections that does not occur to everyone, about the structure of the cosmos.
21. It is not clear that intelligence has any value for long-term survival
Hawking invites deep reflection with this great appointment.
22. Nothing can exist forever
Hawking reminds us that everything has a beginning and an end.
23. The voice I use is that of an old synthesizer made in 1986. I still use it because I still don’t hear a voice that I like better and because I can identify with it by now
Hawking’s disease does not allow him to speak, but he continues to communicate.
24. Cannot predict the future
The future is unpredictable, even if there are people who insist on making it seem that way.
25. Every time I hear about that cat, I start pulling out my gun
Doesn’t look like Hawking is a big animal lover.
26. The human capacity for guilt is such that people can always find ways to blame ourselves
Many times we make the mistake of blaming ourselves for everything. We’re very demanding.
27. The old paradox: Can God make a stone so heavy that he cannot lift it?
With this sentence, Hawking intends to question the belief that God exists .
28. If we discover a complete theory, it should be understandable to all. Then everyone, philosophers, scientists and normal people would be able to take part in the discussion of why we and the Universe exist
Hawking would like us to understand the universe in its entirety.
29. The Universe not only has a history, but any possible history
Human beings have not been able to explain with certainty what the Universe is and why it exists.
30. I have noticed that even people who say that everything is predestined and that we can’t do anything to change our destiny still look before crossing the street
Another sentence that says that the future is unpredictable.
31. With genetic engineering, we will be able to increase the complexity of our DNA, and improve the human race. But it will be a slow process, because one will have to wait 18 years to see the effect of changes in the genetic code
Scientists are working so that in the future we can improve the human condition .
32. One cannot argue with a mathematical theorem
Mathematical theorems are sacred in the author’s opinion.
33. The best proof that navigation in time is impossible is the fact that we have not been invaded by tourists from the future
Hawking has a great sense of humor as he demonstrates with this phrase.
34. One of the great mysteries of this life is women
For Hawking, it takes a lot of scientific knowledge to understand the female mind.
35. I have been immersed in science all my life, now I am ready to pray
Science and theology are not compatible.
36. Quiet and silent people have the strongest and noisiest minds
Calm people are usually thoughtful.
37. I would like to see nuclear fusion become a practical source of energy. It would provide an inexhaustible source of energy, without pollution and global warming
Hawking thinks that nuclear fusion would bring many benefits to people.
38. By memorizing something we increase the disorder of the Universe
A certainly curious phrase, worthy of a great thinker.
39. Time travel has tended to be thought of as science fiction, but Einstein’s general theory of relativity allows the possibility of warping space-time so much that you could leave in a rocket and come back before you leave
Another one of those ironic quotes Hawking has us used to, which is about time travel.
40. Although September 11 was horrible, it did not threaten the survival of the human race, as nuclear weapons do
A reflection by Hawking on the attack on the Twin Towers .
41. Obviously, because of my disability, I need assistance. But I have always tried to overcome the limitations of my condition and lead as full a life as possible. I have travelled the world, from Antarctica to zero gravity
Hawking has proven many times to be an example of self-improvement .
42. Mankind’s greatest achievements have occurred by talking and its greatest failures by not talking. It doesn’t have to be that way
Communication can prevent conflicts between people.
43. Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change
Human beings adapt to the changing environment. Hawking has proven that.
44. You cannot afford to be disabled in spirit as well as physically
Despite the limitations of his illness, Hawking remains at the forefront of science.
45. The danger is that our power to harm or destroy the environment or our peers increases at a much greater rate than our wisdom in using that power
Instead of using intelligence to become better people, many individuals use it for their own benefit.
46. People differ in IQ, but we are all equally worthy
Intelligence does not determine the dignity of people .
47. It is generally recognized that women are better than men in languages, personal relationships and multi-tasking. But worse in map reading and spatial awareness. It would therefore not be unreasonable to think that women would be worse at math and physics
A quote from Hawking that can give a lot to talk about and can create a great debate.
48. When one’s expectations are reduced to zero, one really appreciates everything one has
It’s at the worst times that you bring out your best version.
49. Our only chance for long-term survival is to expand into space. The answers to these questions show that we have made great progress in the last hundred years, but if we wish to continue beyond the next hundred years, the future lies in space. That is why I am in favor of space flight
Conquering space is the only thing that can save humanity in the future.
50. I have hardly known mathematicians who reason
A funny reflection on mathematicians .
51. Since there exists a law like that of gravity, the Universe could create itself from nothing, as it happened. Spontaneous creation is the reason that something exists, instead of nothing, that the Universe exists, that we exist
Once again, Hawking harshly criticizes the belief that God exists.
52. The entire history of science has been a gradual realization that events do not occur arbitrarily, but that they reflect a certain underlying, which may or may not be divinely inspired
Actually, Hawking believes that divine inspiration is not possible.
53. There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, and science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win, because it works
Again, another criticism of religious thought.
54. Since my illness is progressing, I have a lot to do and I want to do it as soon as possible
His illness has never immobilized him, because Hawking has remained active. .
55. My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the Universe, because it is how it is and because it exists
Hawking has never hidden the fact that he lives for and to understand the universe.
56. One million million million million (1 with twenty-four zeros behind) miles, is the size of the observable Universe
The universe is infinite, even if Hawking puts a size on it.
57. The remaining radiation from the Big Band is the same as that from your microwave but much less strong
A simile between the radiation caused by the Big Bang and that used by the microwave.
58. I think everyone should have an overview of how the Universe operates and our place in it
The knowledge of the Universe should be the basic desire of the human being.
59. Even if there were a single unifying theory, it is only a set of rules and equations
Theories can be debated and improved.
60. One of the basic rules of the universe is that nothing is perfect. Perfection does not exist simply… without imperfection, neither you nor I would exist
You don’t have to be obsessed with perfection because it doesn’t exist.
61. To limit our attention to earthly matters would be to limit the human spirit
Our knowledge about life must go beyond the boundaries of the earth.
62. With computer viruses, we have created a form of life in our image and likeness
Human beings have the unfortunate ability to destroy ourselves.
63. God not only plays dice, but sometimes throws them where no one can see them
A sentence that makes reference to black holes .
64. Black holes are not really black, after all: they shine like a hot body, and the smaller they are, the more they shine
You can’t understand the universe without understanding black holes.
65. It’s not enough that I wear dark sunglasses and a wig. The wheelchair gives me away
Hawking is a highly respected celebrity for his findings.
66. If you think it is difficult to get humans to follow traffic laws, imagine convincing an asteroid to move along an ellipse
The complexity of the Universe is equal to or greater than the complexity of the Earth.
67. I can’t see how God could have created this world
It seems implausible that God can create everything that he is said to have created.
68. If it is possible to travel I can become young again
Time travel is impossible , although more than one would like it to be possible.
69. The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge
To think that we know everything is the biggest mistake a person can make.
70. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it
Work is an important part of our well-being and is important for our personal development.
71. The thing about smart people is that they seem crazy to dumb people
Ignorant people often live centered in their world.
72. We create history by our observation, rather than by creating our own history
One of those profound quotes that forces you to think about life.
73. We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life can develop into something we would not want to know
Some people use their intelligence in a negative way.
74. It is not necessary to invoke God to light the fuse and set the Universe in motion
Hawking has never been a religious fanatic. He doesn’t believe in God.
75. No matter how many times the results of experiments agree with some theory, you can never be sure that the next time the result will not be in contradiction with that theory.
Theories must be objective . This is a basic task for any researcher.
76.To survive as a species, we must eventually travel to the stars
One of those opinions of Stephen Hawking in which it is not clear whether optimism or pessimism prevails.
77. Life is a Wonderful Thing
Despite his poor health, this scientist did not always focus on the negative aspects of life.
78.The robots could take control and reach a point where they can make themselves
One of the fatalistic predictions related to the development of new technologies.
79. I believe the universe is governed by the laws of science. These may have been created by God, but God does not intervene to break those rules
Stephen Hawking denied being religious in the usual sense of the term.
80. We have to leave the Earth in a hundred years
This was one of the most widespread statements of this scientist, and was linked to his belief that resources will be depleted very quickly because of the deterioration of the existing ecosystems.
81.The next time you talk to someone who denies the existence of climate change, propose that he or she take a trip to Venus
82. The universe did not need God’s help to begin to exist
Another of Stephen Hawking’s phrases about religion.
83. Remember to look at the stars and not at your feet
An inspiring phrase that can be translated into a philosophy of life to guide you.
84. We are all connected through the Internet, like neurons in a brain
About the connectivity characteristic of the new times.
85. Science is not only a discipline of reason, but also of romance and passion
Hawking, destroying the stereotypes linked to the world of science.