Love is one of the great things in this life, something worth living for.
And although psychologists, sociologists and doctors have all tried to understand human behavior with respect to this phenomenon, we all know how well it feels and how true love is able to change our lives completely . No one will hesitate to say that it is one of the most extraordinary sensations we can enjoy.
What does science say about love?
And of course, since love is capable of making us cross the ocean in search of the person we love, researchers have tried to provide scientific knowledge about it, aware of the great interest that this topic arouses.
You are probably asking yourself, what have they concluded in their studies? In short, science has found results as curious as these:
- Love is like a drug
- The Christmas season produces many divorces
- The small details are the most important
- Love movies are a good therapeutic strategy
- Social networks are the most common cause of divorce
- Distance is not an obstacle in love
- Couple’s arguments are fattening
You can learn more about these studies in our article: “Love and falling in love: 7 surprising investigations”
Difference between love and infatuation
Although falling in love and love seem to be synonymous, the reality is that they are different things . Love, in this case romantic love, is something more lasting than falling in love, which is usually the beginning of romantic love. Falling in love is a series of chemical reactions that take place in the brain, it is what makes you feel in full swing and makes you feel cute for someone when you are not with that person.
The crush usually lasts about two years, which is when the brain returns to normal. Falling in love is usually irrational and can lead to mature love.
- Do you want to know more about the crush? In our article “The chemistry of love: a very powerful drug” you can find very interesting information.
Mature love: rational love
For relationships to last, the intense feeling of love is not enough . There must be a series of characteristics that allow the relationship to go on. Respect, communication and even learning from the past will make a relationship successful or not. Therefore, for love to succeed, we must also learn how to make the relationship work. This is what is known as mature love.
- You can deepen the theme of mature love in the following post: “Mature love: why is second love better than first?”
Characteristics of true love
But what are the characteristics of true love? What are the requirements for lasting love? Here is a list of 40 unique characteristics of true love:
- It is an unconditional love and therefore based on the acceptance of the other person, both in their past and in the present.
- It’s mutual because it requires both partners to feel the same.
- It’s generous. The person cares about giving and gives his whole heart.
- It is healthy, that is, it is not an asymmetrical or dependent love. Each person has their own autonomy.
- It doesn’t make you suffer, I mean, it’s not a toxic love and it doesn’t hurt. You feel lucky.
- It lasts forever. It can go through bad times, but because of its intensity it lasts forever.
- It is respectful and the two people who love each other are treated in a tolerant and caring way.
- It causes a deep emotional connection which is what keeps the relationship alive despite the bad times that may arise.
- He is brave and doubts are overcome with courage. The first thing is the other person.
- It’s intense. The feeling is not only deep, but its intensity provokes emotions of great magnitude.
- It’s built up over time. True love gains ground over the years.
- It feeds on compassion and is therefore tender and altruistic.
- It encourages negotiation and dialogue, because each partner does his or her part to understand the needs of the other person.
- We are ourselves and that is one of the keys. When you love yourself, then you can love others.
- That person makes you laugh and makes you feel good.
- He’s free and untethered. No one imposes.
- It allows communication and the two people do their part to understand each other.
- He knows how to listen to what the other one needs and what they both need.
- The two people complement and support each other.
- It’s non-judgmental and realistic.
- It’s romantic and keeps the flame alive over time. He’s doing his part to make it happen.
- It is detailed and makes the members of the couple show their love.
- It’s passionate and they keep in close touch.
- It is not finding oneself in the other person or being dependent.
- First you have to love yourself in order to love others.
- It’s natural and things happen without forcing them.
- To give it, one must receive it. It’s a love that gives.
- It’s a friendship with erotic moments. The two members are great friends and share great moments.
- It’s commitment, sincerity and honesty.
- It has no limits, because true love can do anything.
- The distance doesn’t matter. People who love each other find each other.
- It has shared goals and the two members are on the same path.
- It overcomes any ups and downs that may arise and there are no conditions.
- There are no victims, because the members have enough trust and respect.
- You have to live it and not let time pass.
- It takes away your sleep when you’re not with the person you love.
- He loves you the way you are and not the way he’d like you to be.
- I’m quickly sorry for any big mistake.
- He is your best support and is the person who is there for you in good times and bad.
- It needs to be worked on. It doesn’t happen overnight.